Black Locust

Native to the Appalachian Mountains, Ozarks, and the Ouachita Mountains, black locust is one of the hardest woods in the United States as well as one of the hardest and most rot-resistant woods in the world

Native to the Appalachian Mountains, Ozarks, and the Ouachita Mountains, black locust is one of the hardest woods in the United States as well as one of the hardest and most rot-resistant woods in the world. It is hardy and weather-resistant as well and has a very high heat value (it can even burn when wet). Spikes on the outside make this plant seem threatening (cuts from them can easily become infected), but their flowers' appearance and their sweet orange-honey scent reveal their true sweet nature. Black locust is one of the major honey plants (at least in the United States).

Though it is a fiery wood, the black locust seeks an owner with a calm and tranquil personality. Their owners have a high sense of integrity, and unyielding inner strength. It seems like they are born with their life purpose already set in their minds. However, they can be inconsistent with their efforts and energy levels. After developing a closer bond, this wand can help them stabilize and focus their energy. They can compartmentalize extremely well and may shelve their emotions at an unhealthy level. Their feelings may snowball and sweep them away later, if they don't take the time to actually process their feelings or if someone else doesn't force them to do so. A talent of these witches and wizards is to look at problems and find ways to at least stabilize the situation, if not 'fix' said problems altogether. It is a common, but the not unfounded, belief that many black locust wand owners die young. There is talent at magic to do with shielding, resistance, stabilizing, and healing. This deep caramel-colored wood performs magic weaker at night, and stronger during the day. It also refuses to perform dark magic or bond with water-based cores. A scent similar to orange blossoms and honey is emitted from this wand and is even stronger in direct sunlight. Black flames and orange sparks leap out from this wand during spellwork.