Alder

Alder is the common name of a genus of flowering plants belonging to the birch family Betulaceae

Alder is the common name of a genus of flowering plants belonging to the birch family Betulaceae. The genus comprises about 35 species of monoecious trees and shrubs, a few reaching a large size, distributed throughout the north temperate zone with a few species extending into Central America, as well as the northern and southern Andes

Alder is an unyielding wood, yet I have discovered that its ideal owner is not stubborn or obstinate, but often helpful, considerate and most likeable. Whereas most wand woods seek similarity in the characters of those they will best serve, alder is unusual in that it seems to desire a nature that is, if not precisely opposite to its own, then certainly of a markedly different type. When an alder wand is happily placed, it becomes a magnificent, loyal helpmate. Of all wand types, alder is best suited to non-verbal spell work, whence comes its reputation for being suitable only for the most advanced witches and wizards. 

A pale brown wood, alder is a more placid and defensive member of the Birch family. Alder can be a bit combative, but not as combative as silver birch or more northern birch species. As Ollivander said, alder performs non-verbal spells well, and is deeply loyal (as is its owner).

There is a vibrancy to these people; they approach life with arms wide open. Brave, they jump right into whatever needs to be done. They love to help others, and believe in the power of kindness–in simple actions yielding results. They often are secret-keepers for their friends (which are many) and possess a lifelong interest in more occult or esoteric magics.

On the flip side, they may keep important information or details to themselves to the detriment of others. When down on their luck or themselves, they can be surprisingly cynical and temperamental. Potent at magic to do with secrecy, hiding, and mystery. There is talent with spells to do with concealment and invisibility (alder flowers are used to dye invisibility cloaks brown, red, or green). A talent with bacteria is common. There may be talent with prophecy, given the appropriate wand core (tarot cards are especially popular).

Teal ripples with streaks of peridot, butter yellow, and scarlet are emitted by this wand during spellwork. Its magic smells of saltwater, lavender roses, and frankincense. The only cores that give alder a problem are air based cores, which may dry it out. It does adore water-based cores, like kelpie hair or augurey feather. This wand's power will be increased if the owner gives it a name it likes. When this wand is under the weather, place it in a bowl filled with swamp water. It may direct them to a creature or plant in desperate need, pulling them to the location if necessary. Like birch wands, alder wands have a musical preference– they prefer genres like folk, R&B, jazz, and classical.