Western Larch

Larix occidentalis, the western larch, is a species of larch native to the mountains of western North America; in Canada in southeastern British Columbia and southwestern Alberta, and in the United States in eastern Washington, eastern Oregon, nor...

Larix occidentalis, the western larch, is a species of larch native to the mountains of western North America; in Canada in southeastern British Columbia and southwestern Alberta, and in the United States in eastern Washington, eastern Oregon, northern Idaho, and western Montana.

An oddity among conifers, larch are deciduous trees and lose their needles in winter. This particular member of the larch family is quite popular in the Pacific Northwest. The ideal owner is sensitive and enthusiastic. They love to communicate ideas and discuss what is and what can be. A powerful wand wood, western larch can help give their owners more courage and confidence. This is a gradual process, and the larch acts as a support system for their witch or wizard. This wand wood will refuse to let others use it under most circumstances as they are extremely loyal. 

These witches and wizards may feel out of place in their youth, and in their early adult years. They go to a different tempo than others, and say weird things (especially when they don't mean to). Most often, they do not belong to any cliques or groups– instead they remain independent and float in between them. This is not necessarily the desire of the larch owner, who does want a place and people to claim as theirs– where they belong unconditionally. In their youth, they may try too hard to fit to people's standards of behavior and come off as over-eager and desperate.

When it comes to hobbies and subjects they are passionate about, these witches and wizards are eager to explore, learn, and do things related to said activities or interests. They become heartbroken, and in repeated cases deeply cynical, when their ideas and enthusiasm are rejected by the group majority. This rejection is taken at a personal level, as it is difficult for them to separate the value of their ideas from their own self-value. As such, they may feel like their ideas are rejected because it was they who suggested it, and not someone with greater charisma or popularity (which may be true to some degree).

When mature, these people are more confident with not belonging to a particular group, and care less about impressing or being accepted by other people. Not that rejection doesn't sting, but that they can compartmentalize it better, and not linger on it over and over again (as they may have done in their youth). These people are at their best is when they are true to themselves and their own voice, and accept that not everyone is going to like them or what they have to say.

As Ollivander stated, this is a wand of hidden talents and effects. The time it takes for these people to discover their talents varies for all, though there are some common patterns in which form these talents take. Often, they are even surprised at what they are capable of. There is often talent with prophecy, warding off dark spirits and creatures, and protective magics. Best subjects include: ancient runes (particularly warding), divination, care of magical creatures, transfiguration, astronomy, and defense against the dark arts. They may have trouble with charms.

Due to the variety of talents displayed by larch owners, there are only a few common threads in what jobs they have hold.  Swirls of crimson, navy blue, and periwinkle are emitted from this wand during spellwork. Its magic smells of sea foam, ashes, and wood betony blossoms. Larch owners often have an affinity with birch wand owners. This wand cannot be burned by fire. As this wand possesses great agency, it will act on its own according to how it feels about a situation– always in the defense or aid of its owner. For example, if its owner is crying it may float some tissues up to their eyes to dry their tears or bring them a cup of tea and some sweets. It is sensitive as well, and will reflect its owner's most extreme emotional states. Example, if its owner is depressed, it may shed some tears of its own.