Osage Orange

Maclura pomifera, commonly known as the Osage orange, hedge, or hedge apple tree is a small deciduous tree or large shrub, typically growing to 8 to 15 meters tall

Maclura pomifera, commonly known as the Osage orange, hedge, or hedge apple tree is a small deciduous tree or large shrub, typically growing to 8 to 15 meters tall. The distinctive fruit, from a multiple fruit family, is roughly spherical, bumpy, 8 to 15 centimeters in diameter, and turns bright yellow-green in the fall. The fruits secrete a sticky white latex when cut or damaged. Despite the name "Osage orange", it is only distantly related to the orange, but rather is a member of the mulberry family, Moraceae. Due to its latex secretions and woody pulp, the fruit is typically not eaten by humans and rarely by foraging animals, giving it distinction as an anachronistic "ghost of evolution".

A strikingly colored wood, Bois d'Arc is still a popular wood, despite an assortment of reasons many have for disliking the wood. While it is exceedingly useful in mundane bowmaking, it does not carry much use in Defense Against the Dark Arts or even the Dark Arts itself, being a largely benign wood. Most commonly wands of Bois d'Arc are found in the hands of wixes of complex natures, who, like the wood, can be both straightforward and obvious, or knotted up and confusing.