Mesquite

Mesquite is a common name for several plants in the genus Prosopis, which contains over 40 species of small leguminous trees

Mesquite is a common name for several plants in the genus Prosopis, which contains over 40 species of small leguminous trees. They are native to the southwestern United States and Mexico. The mesquite originates in the Tamaulipan mezquital ecoregion, in the deserts and xeric shrublands biome, located in the southern United States and northeastern Mexico. It has extremely long roots to seek water from very far underground. The region covers an area of 141,500 km², encompassing a portion of the Gulf Coastal Plain in southern Texas, northern Tamaulipas, northeastern Coahuila, and part of Nuevo León. As a leguminous tree, mesquite is one of the few sources of fixed nitrogen in the desert habitat.

A hardy, healthy wood, able to grow in harshly dry areas. Mesquite wands bond best with witches or wizards that perform well under pressure. Willing to go the distance, no matter what obstacles are in their path. Able to make the best of any situation, a practitioner with a mesquite wand will often come out on top, even if the odds are stacked against them. Mesquite is quite popular in the southwestern United States and Mexico, favoring desert cultivations. Despite the often dry habitat the tree likes to grow in Mesquite wood wands are excellent for water casting, and managing well in, around, and near water. Like Hickory, cooking spells cast with a mesquite wand give food a smoky and delicious flavor. Mesquite wands require a firmly gentle touch but when given are wonderful helpmates to their master and are known for their reliability and remarkably focused spells. Generally Mesquite wood is a fairly hardy one and generally comes out of most rough patches unscathed, only seeming to bond more strongly to their master. Very few Mesquite wands are snapped by accident, seeming to have a stroke of odd luck keeping the wands from being snapped by chance alone.