American Sycamore aka Buttonwood

Platanus occidentalis, also known as American sycamore, American planetree, occidental plane, and buttonwood, is a species of Platanus native to the eastern and central United States, extreme southern Ontario, and the mountains of northeastern Mexico

Platanus occidentalis, also known as American sycamore, American planetree, occidental plane, and buttonwood, is a species of Platanus native to the eastern and central United States, extreme southern Ontario, and the mountains of northeastern Mexico. It is usually called sycamore in North America, a name which can refer to other types of trees in other parts of the world.

American sycamore makes a questing wand, eager for new experiences and losing brilliance if engaged in mundane activities. It is a quirk of these handsome wands that they may combust if allowed to become 'bored', and many witches and wizards, settling down into middle age, are disconcerted to find their trusty wand bursting into flame in their hand as they ask it, one more time, to fetch their slippers. As may be deduced, the sycamore's ideal owner is curious, vital, and adventurous, and when paired with such an owner, it demonstrates a capacity to learn and adapt that earns it a rightful place among the world's most highly-prized wand woods.

Prized in North America, especially in Florida (where it is more famously known as buttonwood), as well as across the world by Jewish communities, American sycamore wands aren't content with routine or regurgitating spells mindlessly. Neither are their owners. The wood is light brown, tinged with red, and has a mottled pattern. Excitable, this wand likes to experience the new–not just spells but also new places and new ideas. Its owner is curious and will try anything at least once. As children, they may have wandered off from their parents or guardians frequently without regard to their safety. They may have asked a lot of questions, even more than the average kid, and are eager to learn all they can. They don't like to make concrete plans and prefer to do activities at the spur of the moment. When its owner stops trying new things, then this wand not only loses its shine but also may combust (as Ollivander says).

American Sycamore wand owners are adaptable and resilient– they can survive devastation and return stronger. This wand is talented at magic to do with rejuvenation, locomotion, and combustion. Spells or potions to do with reversing the effects of petrification are also a specialty of this wand. Their magic is better for protection rather than offense. Many sycamore wand owners communicate and get along well with dryads and centaurs. Best subjects include defense against the dark arts, ancient runes, charms, transfiguration, and care of magical creatures. There are issues with the history of magic, and potions that may be too monotonous for them (the core may change best performing subjects though).  Pumpkin and dandelion-colored sparks flecked with carmine are emitted by this wand during spellwork. The scent of ginger and rosemary lingers in the air afterward. American Sycamore prefers cores from reptilian creatures, as it continuously peels and regrows its first layer (much like reptiles) or from creatures associated with rebirth (like the phoenix).