Cocobolo

Cocobolo is a tropical hardwood of Central American trees belonging to the genus Dalbergia

Cocobolo is a tropical hardwood of Central American trees belonging to the genus Dalbergia. Only the heartwood of cocobolo is used; it is usually orange or reddish-brown, often with darker irregular traces weaving through the wood. The heartwood changes color after being cut, and can be polished to a lustrous, glassy finish; being quite dense, some has a specific gravity of over 1.0 and will sink in water. The sapwood is a creamy yellow, with a sharp boundary between it and the heartwood.

There is, as always, much debate over the use of certain woods in wandmaking. Where the British Ollivander prefers to stick to the Celtic woods (with occasional forays into other woods, such as Mahogany and Reed), others, such as Gregorovitch, are more adventurous, and the French wandmakers make much of their imported African woods. While all wandmakers have their own views of certain woods, a few conclusions have been reached about Dalbergia retusa or Cocobolo which are as follows:

It is rare due to the limited number of trees and thus has only been briefly studied, however, this rarity does make it quite popular as a wand wood. Cocobolo has a great skill with spellcasting, being quite bright in spell color, and the woods' own beauty only increases its popularity.
Cocobolo is not a good wood for casting in water (though few kinds of wood are) though wands of it can cast decently when submerged when their master has sufficient focus. These wands are capable of highly effective and long-lasting Bubblehead Charms. They are often found in the hands of those who fear water, being one of those woods which apparently likes providing their master some comfort.