Western Hemlock

Tsuga heterophylla, the western hemlock or western hemlock-spruce, is a species of hemlock native to the west coast of North America, with its northwestern limit on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska, and its southeastern limit in northern Sonoma County,...

Tsuga heterophylla, the western hemlock or western hemlock-spruce, is a species of hemlock native to the west coast of North America, with its northwestern limit on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska, and its southeastern limit in northern Sonoma County, California. It is the state tree of Washington.

Popular along the northwestern coast of North America, a Western Hemlock wand's true owner is someone who prefers to be in the background rather than the limelight, and is often community-oriented, often to the point of self-neglect. This wand respects and chooses people who are service-oriented, who provide literal or metaphorical shelter for others in need. Their owners are often long-lived. Slower to develop than their peers, their efforts don't come to full fruition until later in their life. They take life slowly and have incredible patience. Whether it's minutes or years, they will wait for the right opportunity. Their demeanor may be described as demure or timid, as they approach most situations with caution. This can hold them back from achieving success early on– as such, others may criticize them for being fearful but the owner wouldn't have it any other way. Unnecessary risk-taking is foolish to them and short-sighted. Their goals are in the long-term and are more structured than others may perceive.

There is a certain inflexibility about their character because of their idea of what long-term success looks like (this can easily overwhelm them). They may overreact to changes in their plans– because they see it as a domino effect and become extremely anxious in the process. A love for food is a common thread for owners of hemlock wands, and talent in culinary magic (especially in the sub-field of healing culinary magic) or at least an appreciation for the finer tastes in life. Healing is another talent of this wand, especially heat therapy. Lastly, there is often talent with shielding magic– that protects from elements and forces of nature.

Even in severely cold weather, this wand is warm to the touch. If it's cold, take it to a reputable wandmaker immediately– these wands are susceptible to fungus and disease as they have delicate constitutions. If a hemlock wand does not "catch a cold" so to speak, place it over a bed of warm coals for thirty minutes at the least. This wand will perform and appear as if new throughout (and beyond) its owner's life.