Hornbeam

Hornbeams are hardwood trees in the flowering plant genus Carpinus in the birch family Betulaceae

Hornbeams are hardwood trees in the flowering plant genus Carpinus in the birch family Betulaceae. The 30–40 species occur across much of the temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere.

My own wand is made of hornbeam, and so it is with all due modesty that I state that hornbeam selects for its life mate the talented witch or wizard with a single, pure passion, which some might call obsession (though I prefer the term 'vision'), which will almost always be realized. Hornbeam wands adapt more quickly than almost any other to their owner's style of magic and will become so personalized, so quickly, that other people will find them extremely difficult to use even for the most simple of spells. Hornbeam wands likewise absorb their owner's code of honor, whatever that might be, and will refuse to perform acts – whether for good or ill – that do not tally with their master's principles. A particularly fine-tuned and sentient wand. 

- Garrick Ollivander

Hornbeam is a white and smooth wood that resembles ivory. Its ideal owner has refined taste and an inclination towards a lone obsession, or as Ollivander put it, "a single pure passion." This passion is usually discovered at a young age, but some owners may take longer to uncover it. Their passions can distract and detract from other parts of their life. Learning to balance between their passions and the people in their life (and their own health and sanity) is an ongoing battle.

These witches and wizards have unusually large magical cores and are sensitive to magical auras. Hornbeam wands are sensitive in the way they adapt to the minute quirks of their owner's magic. They quickly come to reflect their owner's magical signature and magnify it. This also happens with the owner's morals and ethics. According to Ollivander, the wand will refuse to perform magic or do anything that is against its owner's ethical standards– even at the owner's demand.

They are wise and conscientious folk. Their eyes make it seem like they are somewhere else, perhaps somewhere distant and mystic. Their aura is sage-like. Other qualities that set them apart early on are their inherent kindness and humility. They are not ones to be competitive or care about being number one. They are much more concerned with their hobbies and passions and surpassing their personal bests. Solo sports and activities are much more their styles than teams.

White, gold, and silvery blue fog trail out from this wand during spellwork. Its magic smells of saffron, clean air, and baked bread. Hornbeam wands have incredible stamina. The effects of their spells last among the longest of all wands. This wand doesn't let other people use it, as it will only respond to its owner's magical signature.

Hornbeam does not pair well with fairy wings. Hornbeam wands are disliked greatly by fairies. Their owners may be attacked by fairies and should carry an anti-fairy spray on them or know a fairy repulsion spell (just in case). Iron is one of the best metals to bond with hornbeam, as an embellishment or as a handle.