Douglas Fir

Pseudotsuga menziesii is an evergreen conifer species in the pine family, Pinaceae

Pseudotsuga menziesii is an evergreen conifer species in the pine family, Pinaceae. It is native to western North America and is known as Douglas fir, Douglas-fir, Oregon pine, and Columbian pine. There are two varieties: coast Douglas-fir, and Rocky Mountain Douglas-fir.

This enduring tree which is even older than Christianity and not attached exclusively to any one religion - remains a firmly established part of our holiday customs, engaging not only our senses of sight, touch, and smell but also our sense of tradition. The tree evokes a mood of holidays from long ago, of the genial ghost of Christmas Past. Northwest Native Americans have a history of making use of grand fir foliage and branches. Kwakwaka'wakw shamans wove their branches into headdresses and costumes and used the branches for scrubbing individuals in purification rites. The Hesquiat tribes used its branches as incense and decorative clothing for wolf dancers, its roots for basket weaving, and the twigs for arrow shafts. Douglas-fir boughs were frequently used for covering the floors of lodges and sweat lodges and the needles were used to make a tea high in vitamin C. 

A very versatile wand wood, Douglas Fir wands tend to pick those wizards who can remain strong despite many trials - this durability is common, though not precisely required by the wand wood, which will also seek those of a sweeter nature if possible. Due to this variability, a large part of understanding this wand wood comes down to its core, which can vastly affect its abilities and who it will select - this versatility means it is both very helpful and potentially very dangerous, not that any Aurors in the Pacific Northwest have complained of this. Douglas Fir is not a common wood because of its undesirable physical properties but is occasionally seen in outdoorsy wands. Also great for Astronomy.