American Yew

Taxus canadensis, the Canada yew or Canadian yew, is a conifer native to central and eastern North America, thriving in swampy woods, ravines, riverbanks, and on lake shores

Taxus canadensis, the Canada yew or Canadian yew, is a conifer native to central and eastern North America, thriving in swampy woods, ravines, riverbanks, and on lake shores. Locally called simply "yew", this species is also referred to as American yew or ground-hemlock.

The American Yew is a wand wood of death and rebirth. The owner values honor highly, and would often prefer to die rather than submit or surrender in extreme cases. They often have a preoccupation with religion, spirituality, spirits, reincarnation, and the afterlife. These witches and wizards are independent and may refuse the help of others (this may be overcome later in life, but will be especially prominent in their youth). It takes them much time to develop as people, as well as to develop their magic.

The unusual quality about yew wood itself is how flexible the wood is, despite its great hardness and strength (for being a softwood). The owner is similar in that they have strong convictions but are flexible in the manner in which they accomplish goals or uphold their convictions. They have an inner resilience that allows them to spring back from metaphorical deaths. They can be exceptionally protective of those they've 'claimed' as their own, and make for frightening adversaries. Equally, the yew wand is loyal to its owner and will not let other witches or wizards use it lightly– they must have a strong bond with its owner for the wand to let them use it.

There have been several accounts of people snapping yew wands and being cursed for the rest of their lives. There is a talent with magic to do with music, combat, and accuracy. The owners are often excellent at dueling, including hexes and curses. There may be talent with divination, especially in communing with spirits. Yew performs best in the following subjects: defense against the dark arts, transfiguration, charms, herbology, history of magic, divination, and potions. Though they are a wand of rebirth, they often have issues with healing magic or magic to do with cleansing and purification (unless the core is unicorn hair, then it could be at least average at such magics).