Holly

Ilex, or holly, is a genus of about 480 species of flowering plants in the family Aquifoliaceae, and the only living genus in that family

Ilex, or holly, is a genus of about 480 species of flowering plants in the family Aquifoliaceae, and the only living genus in that family. The species are evergreen or deciduous trees, shrubs, and climbers from tropics to temperate zones worldwide. American holly (Ilex opaca) is the state tree of Delaware. A great deal of superstition once surrounded holly. It was believed that planting hollies near buildings would protect them from witchcraft and lightning. It was also believed that the flowers of holly could be used to turn water into ice.

Holly is one of the rarer kinds of wand woods, with the power to detect and repel evil; traditionally considered protective, it works most happily for those who may need help overcoming a tendency to anger and impetuosity. At the same time, holly wands often choose owners who are engaged in some dangerous and often spiritual quest. Holly is one of those woods that varies most dramatically in performance depending on the wand core, and it is a notoriously difficult wood to team with phoenix feather, as the wood's volatility conflicts strangely with the phoenix's detachment. In the unusual event of such a pairing finding its ideal match, however, nothing and nobody should stand in their way. One of the most well-known wands made from holly belongs to the Boy Who Lived, Harry Potter.

An almost snow-white wood, holly chooses those who may be a bright light for others in their dark times. Those chosen by holly live their lives honestly and in pursuit of truth and clarity. They often are also quick to lose their temper, which the holly tries to redirect into their pursuits and dreams. Highly intuitive, they choose to follow their instincts over facts and are willing to take what they deem necessary risks to accomplish their quest or to protect others. Their desire to protect others will most likely take precedence over their quest.

Because of their ability to completely focus on a task, they don't tend to leave projects unfinished but also may not take care of themselves very well

Because of their ability to completely focus on a task, they don't tend to leave projects unfinished but also may not take care of themselves very well. They need to learn to take their health seriously and not be so quick to martyr themselves as well. Their ideals for truth and honesty may make them a bit blind when it comes to morally grey situations–or in other words, it can be difficult for them not to see in moral absolutes.

Generosity is another trait of those with holly wands. Many open their homes to those in need, as well as work in areas where they can help the most people they can. A connection with birds, magical or otherwise, is common among holly owners. Protective magic is the hallmark of this wand– especially more offensive forms of protection and protection against malevolent spirits. As such, holly wand owners often excel in dueling. Holly wands also can protect against lightning, and combat against lightning-based wands naturally.

When it comes to mind-based magics, they are better at legilimency than occlumency (as they are better at finding truth rather than creating walls or lies to block their own truths). It performs best in defense against the dark arts, charms, transfiguration, and care of magical creatures. However, there may be difficulty in using this wand in potions and divination.