Chapter 162

I didn't talk to him for three days. That night he didn't even come home, and the night after he did but he went straight to the guest room and didn't even look at me. He only talked to Dak and acted like I wasn't there. The day after he did the same. It was tearing me apart but I was so disgusted with him.

The fourth day though, I got a phone call. It was from him. I picked it up and he was talking to someone on his side before he even realized I answered. I was pretty sure it was another officer.

"Hi." I said.

"Hi." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"If it's any surprise to you at all, I'm in the hospital. Again. This is bad, bails. I don't know what's going on with me. I just know they had to bring me back at some point. I just wanted to let you know. I'm not feeling that great and just wanted you to know that I love you. No matter what." He said.

"Bring you back? What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean that my heart stopped and I was dead and they had to bring me back. I don't know what even happened. It happened too fast for me to even react. I don't think I'm okay." He said. He sounded confused. Almost like he didn't know what he was talking about or like he was dazed.

"Okay. I'll get my dad to watch Dak and I'll be there soon." I said.

"I love you so much." He said softly.

"Okay." I said and hung up. I called my dad and asked him to come over, and he said yes.

When he got to the house, I quickly drove to the hospital and found trevs room number. I got to his room and lightly jogged in and he was laying down with a bunch of machines attached to him. He had a bandage around his head and a cast on his arm. He had bandages all over his chest and stomach and my eyes softened. He was bruised up and there were little cuts all over him. I was so confused.

"What in the hell happened?" I asked.

"Oh god I love you. Please come here. Kiss me." He said and he lifted his head up some but I stopped him and leaned down for him. Even if I was mad at him, I still loved him. No matter what.

"Bailey, I feel like shit." He said and I grabbed his hand and rubbed it and sat down next to his bed.

"What happened?" I asked.

"The doctors said I got shot on the side of my head. I don't know. They said it didn't go through my skull but it grazed the side of it. I don't know what happened. I just went on a call for a guy fighting with his wife and I don't remember what happened." He said and he looked like he was worried because he kept trying to think but he couldn't and I put my hand on his arm.

"Stop. Stop worrying. Just relax. You're okay." I said and he shook his head.

"I don't want to do it anymore. I don't want to be a cop. I want to retire for good. I can't remember anything." He said.

"Okay. Just breathe." I said.

"Bailey, I think I'm going to die." He said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked

"I think I'm going to die." He said and I shook my head.

"You are okay. They're helping you and making sure you're okay." I said and he groaned.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"My body hurts." He said.

"You're on morphine. How does your body hurt?" I asked.

"I'm dying." He said and a nurse came into his room and she looked up at me.

"It's not visiting hours." She said.

"He's my husband." I said.

"It doesn't matter-"

"He's in pain and having panic attacks. Maybe if you people checked up on him more, he wouldn't be freaking out." I said.

"The morphine should be kicking in. He just came out of a surgery." She said and he ran his fingers through his hair.

"I don't remember." He said.

"Just relax. You're fine." I said.

"Ma'am. You have to leave. You can stay in the waiting room until tomorrow morning-"

"I'm staying right here with him and I'm making sure he's okay. Have you done tests on him? Have you questioned him? He doesn't remember a damn thing-"

"And that's normal. He just came out of a surgery and a bomb went off in front of him on top of being fired at. It's normal for him to not remember something so abrupt." She said and he looked over at me.

"A bomb?" He asked.

"What the fuck?" I asked under my breath and he looked at his arms and legs. He was having another panic attack and I put my hand on his and I rubbed it and knelt down next to him.

"You're okay. You're here with me. No one is going to hurt you." I said.

"I'm dying." He said and I shook my head.

"You're not dying." I said and he nodded.

"Yes I am. I'm dying." He repeated and I rubbed his hand and he went to pull the IVs out of him and I grabbed his hands.

"No. You need them right now.  Don't pull anything off you. Enough." I said and his nurse stopped him too. She reassured him that he was okay and that he wasn't dying and he calmed down and nodded but he still seemed stressed. I felt so bad. I had never seen him so terrified.

"I want to go home." He said and he kept saying it after. He repeated it over and over when the nurse left and I sat down next to him and locked my eyes on his.

"Trevor. I love you and I know I have no clue what you just went through-I don't even think you know-but you need to listen to me. You are okay. No matter what happened, you're here and I'm here and I'm telling you that you're safe and you're not going to die." I said as I cupped his cheeks and brushed my thumbs across them.

"I'm not going to die." He said softly. It was almost like a confused question.

"You're not going to die." I said and he nodded and he put his hand over mine on his face and he rubbed my thigh.

"Can you lay with me?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said and laid down next to him. He immediately wrapped his arms around me and held me.

"What do you remember from today?" I asked.

"I remember leaving our house, going to work, getting called in to check on a couple after a neighbor called about yelling coming from a near house. I just got my car and I drove straight to the neighborhood. I remember getting there and that's all I remember. I don't think I saw the couple even. I don't know." He said and I ran my fingers through his hair more and kissed his cheek.

"Well you're okay. You remembered my phone number. That's good. You don't have any long term memory loss, it's just the accident and that's okay. You don't have to remember that." I said.

"I don't know why things keep happening to me. I know I keep fucking up and I deserve it, but I don't deserve to die-"

"You don't deserve the extremes that have been happening to you. Don't say that. Even when you piss me off and I hate you, id never wish that on you. It makes us both realize what matters though. I hope you learn from this and understand that. It could all end tomorrow and the last memory I could have with you is a bad one. I don't want that to happen. I don't want anything to happen to you and I want to be happy with you. That's all I want." I said and he nodded.

"I know." He said and I nuzzled into him and he held me tightly.

"I'm sorry. I really am so sorry." He said and I kissed his cheek again and he kissed mine.

"You're okay."