Chapter 42

A few days passed and Trevor had come home from work as I was laying down. The school had a four day weekend, so I did too. Which was one of the benefits being a teacher. I was constantly having a break and basically getting paid for it.

"Hey." I said and sat up and he put his keys down and he looked mad. He looked at me for a second and he went over to me and sat down next to me.

"What's wrong?" I asked and he drug his hands down his face.

"I might give up this position." He said and my eyes softened.

"Trevor." I said softly and he shrugged.

"It's not me. It's not what I want to do. I became a cop to help people and I'm just doing paperwork. I'm too young to just be sitting at a desk. Maybe when I'm older but right now, no. I'm 34, bailey. I should still be going on calls and helping people. That's why I did this job. I might just switch with sawyer. I'm not happy." He said and I put my hand on his knee.

"You can do whatever makes you happy. I'm not holding you back from doing anything. I just felt better knowing you were safer being in this position and if you change positions I'll only see you in the morning before I go to work." I said and he nodded.

"I know, but I get holidays and everything and we can still figure out ways around it. We did before. I get some days off and you know that." He said and I nodded slowly and he ran his fingers through his hair.

"I'm drunk." He said and I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"What?" I asked.

"I was drinking. I'm sorry." He said.

"You were at work." I said.

"No, I wasn't." He sighed and I rubbed his knee.

"Where were you?" I asked.

"My house." He said.

"Was Ash home?" I asked and he shook his head and chuckled weakly.

"No. If she was I wouldn't have been there-" he paused and he shrugged.

"I just have been trying to act like everything is okay but it's not and I'm trying to make you happy and do what's best for us but I can't pretend I'm happy doing what I'm doing anymore. I called out of work for the second time since I started this position and I just started. I didn't want to tell you I was drinking but I am. I have been. I'm sorry." He said and I wrapped my arms around him. I wasn't mad about anything. I felt bad that he was scared to tell me he was upset and felt even worse that he drank instead of just telling me.

"You didn't have to keep that from me. You could have told me." I said.

"I just didn't want to argue. I thought you'd be mad at me and argue with me about it-I wasn't going to tell you but I had to." He said.

"You don't seem drunk." I said.

"I'm not shitfaced. I'm just a little more than buzzed. I know what I'm saying though. I mean it bailey, I genuinely miss what I was doing. Even if it meant I was put in danger. That's why I became a cop." He said and I kissed his cheek.

"Then go back to being captain. I just want you happy. You haven't been yourself the past week. If it's because of the job I don't want it to make you upset. I support anything you do." I said and he nodded.

"Bailey, I need a break." He sighed.

"Can you ask them to give you a week or so to figure things out on what you want to do?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No-not a break from work. A break from us." He said and I looked at him for a second and I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked.

"No. You've been doing everything right and it's not you putting any more stress on me and it's not you at all. I just need to breathe. The divorce, the lawyers, court-on top of work and trying to balance it with spending time with you-I need to breathe." He said.

"I can give you the time Trevor-we can figure it out I just-"

"We will figure it out. I just need to be alone. I need a month or few to just do my own thing and figure out where I want to be in my career and my life in general." He said.

"Where are you going to stay?" I asked.

"Ash has to have her things out of my house two days. The lawyer called me today and told me I can keep the house since it only has my name on it. I'll just stay here for the next two days and go back when she's out and get myself together. It's not you, I promise it's not. I love you and you're the right person and you're everything to me, it's just not the right time." He said.

"Okay." I said and he sighed.

"I feel like such an asshole for randomly coming out with this but I've been so stressed out lately and holding so much in. I just need time." He said.

"Okay." I repeated.

"And if you want to see other people I get it because I've treated you like shit and-"

"You have done so much for me. You care so much about me. You make me so happy. There's been some bumps in the road but I know that we love each other. I'll wait for you." I said and he nodded slowly and looked away from me. He had tears in his eyes and he clenched his jaw.

"I uh-" he paused and he cleared his throat.

"Cooper comes out of training tomorrow. We can pick him up. If you don't want to watch him, I can bring him to my house. I would rather you have him though. I worry about you being here alone." He said and I shook my head.

"You can-"

"Bailey. I want him here. They trained him to protect and guard along with knowing when to protect and guard and how to sense it and basic training obviously. He'll protect you while I'm on my way if anything happens. I really do worry about you." He said and I nodded.

"Okay." I said and he kissed my forehead.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I said and wrapped my arms around him and he kissed my cheek over and over as he held me tightly and I broke down in his arms. I knew he loved me, and I loved him so much. It was so confusing and it hurt so bad that he randomly just came out and told me everything at once, but I understood. I didn't get mad because he was explaining his feelings to me and he needed to. I was going to wait as long as I needed to for him to feel better and I respected the time that he needed to do so.