Chapter 68

A week or so passed and Trev and I went out on our first date night in months. Mackenzie was being watched by Nancy, thankfully she agreed to help us out for the night. We were going to ask my dad, but Mackenzie didn't know my dad and we didn't want to make things uncomfortable for her.

Trev brought me to a drive-in movie theater and I absolutely loved it. He told me I could dress normally and he did the same. We drove two hours to the movie theater but it was completely worth it. I thought it was probably one of the best date ideas he ever though of.

We were sitting in his car with our seats back a little bit up enough we could see the movie, and he had me on his seat and was holding and kissing me. He was such a love bug.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I said and he kissed my neck.

"I know we're watching the movie, but I need to tell you something because I don't like keeping things from you. It's nothing bad I just need to tell you." He said.

"Go ahead." I said and nuzzled into his chest and kissed it.

"The night sawyer called me to go on that call for the drug bust-" he paused and I nodded slowly and looked up at him.

"I got shot that night and the bullet shot my vest. It hit my right rib and I was obviously fine because my vest stopped it, but Jesus Christ I couldn't breathe. It knocked the wind out of me and I was knocked back against the floor. Our SWAT team ran in and shot him and they thought he was alone. Some other guy came out and shot me since I was in his path. I kept thinking about it when I was holding you that night. I have been through so much being a cop, but that was the first time I was genuinely scared that I was going to die. I laid on the ground unable to breathe and prayed for the rest of my guys to get him before he did anything else to me. All I could think of was you and mackenzie and our baby-Sawyer ran to check on me and the first thing I told him was to not tell you that I was shot because I knew you wouldn't want me to do it anymore. I feel like every time I go on a call something bad happens, but that was the worst feeling I've ever had." He said and my eyes softened.

"Why didn't you tell me to begin with? Trev I know you love your job. I wouldn't make you quit-I would be more worried about you than I already am-but I wouldn't even try to make you give it up." I said.

"I just want to be able to go to work without you having to worry. I didn't want to tell you at first because when I even tried to leave for that call you were worried." He said.

"I'm always worried about you even when you're not on call." I said and he nodded.

"I'm okay. I seriously am, I just needed to talk to someone about it because it really did scare me." He said.

"You can tell me whatever you need to." I said.

"Okay." He said and I kissed him and ran my fingers through his hair.

"You really don't have a lot of luck." I said.

"Apparently not." He chuckled and I smiled weakly.

"You know what I do have luck with?" He asked.

"What?" I asked.

"You. I'm so damn lucky to have you." He said and I smiled.

"I'm more lucky to have you." I said.

"Can you do me a favor?" He asked.

"What?" I asked.

"Open my glovebox and hand me the cloth bag in there." He said and I cocked an eyebrow before sitting up and grabbing the bag. It was a crown royal bag. Of course he wanted to drink.