Chapter 49

When I told Trevor I said I would think about it, I literally couldn't stop thinking about it. It was taking over my mind. When I was teaching I would focus on Mackenzie or completely forget what I was talking about while writing on the board because of reasoning with myself if I wanted to adopt an 8 year old student. I didn't want to because I was scared, but I wanted to because of how sweet she was, her situation that I wanted to help her with as she grew up, she was comfortable with me, it would make trev unbelievably happy, and because we would be a family.

I obviously had more pros than cons, but the I was still scared and nervous and it was making me second guess everything when I shouldn't have. It didn't feel right, but it also made me happy thinking about Trevor and I having a kid in the house and loving her. I didn't know. I was so indecisive it was unbelievable.

"Ms Collins?" A student asked me as I was zoned out and I looked up at him.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Can you help me?" He asked and I nodded and got up and went over to him. He needed help with a math question and I quickly helped him before going to Mackenzie who also needed help.

"What's up sweetheart?" I asked and knelt down next to her and she looked up at me and pointed to a problem.

"This one? Yeah. This one's a hard one, but I know a shortcut that'll make it easier-" I paused and carefully took her pencil from her and she listened to me attentively as I explained it.

"Get it?" I asked when I was done and she looked down at the paper and started to cry. Shit.

"Sweetheart, it's okay. It's hard. A lot of your classmates are having problems with it too." I said softly.

"I don't know." She cried.

"How about we go out in the hall okay? We can talk." I said and she nodded. She got up from her seat and I grabbed her hand gently and walked with her out in the hallway and she was sobbing.

"Mackenzie, it's okay. Don't worry. If you want you can stay after school with me. You just have to ask Miss Nancy, okay?" I asked.

"I want to go home." She cried and I knelt down in front of her.

"This isn't about the work, is it?" I asked and she shook her head. My eyes softened and she wrapped her little arms around me and I held her.

"I know." I said softly as she cried into my neck.

"What's going on?" I heard jason ask and I looked up to see him walking towards me and he realized it was her and his eyes softened as I picked her up with her in my arms.

"I got it." I said.

"Hey sweetheart-"

"Jason. I got it." I warned.

"She's crying. I'm your boss, Bailey. Watch yourself." He warned and I narrowed my eyes at him and didn't say anything so it wouldn't make her even more scared.

"It's okay. Me and Officer Prescott are trying to work things out to try and help you, okay?" I asked and she looked up at me and nodded slowly and wiped her eyes.

"I miss my mommy and daddy." She said and it broke my heart.

"Jason-" I paused and I looked away from her to him with tears in my eyes.

"Can you take her? Please?" I asked on the verge of tears and his eyes softened and he took her from me and he joked with her and told her everything would be okay as I walked down the hall. I got around the corner and broke down in tears. Seeing her so upset hurt me so much and hearing her say she missed her parents broke my heart. I grabbed my phone and walked into the faculty bathroom and I called Trevor. It rang and he didn't answer, so I called again and it went to voicemail. I called the third time and still no answer, and when I finally called again, he answered.

"Bailey, I'm on a fucking hostage scene right now with a gun to one of my officers head and I'm in the middle of this entire thing hiding behind a fucking wooden desk with no gun because they took mine. Can you please tell me what the fuck is so important?" He asked in a whisper and more tears formed in my eyes.

"Trevor." I cried and he sighed.

"I have to go. I can't talk right now. If anything happens you know I love you. I love you so much." He said and he hung up. I slid my back down against the wall of the bathroom and I buried my face into my knees and just let out sobs. At first I was just upset and crying, but hearing him tell me that made me terrified and upset all at once.

"Bailey." Jason said outside the door and knocked and I couldn't even answer him. The door opened and he knelt down next to me.

"She's okay. A sub is in your class right now watching over. Everything is okay-"

"Jason, no it's not. Hearing Mackenzie say that broke my heart and I wanted to call Trevor to talk to him about it because as much as you hate him, he knows how to make me feel better. Calling him made me feel worse though. He's on a scene and one of his officers are being held hostage and he said he's hiding with no gun because they took it." I cried and his eyes softened.

"And he was so angry at me for calling him repetitively but I just needed to talk to him-I need him. I love him so much." I cried and he wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face into his chest and held him.

"Everything's going to be fine. He's trained for that type of situation-"

"But so much has happened to him already. I can't lose him." I cried.

"Nothing is going to happen." He said softly.

"You don't understand how much I love him." I cried.

"I was told you want to adopt Mackenzie with him." He said.

"I never specifically wanted to. I didn't know what I wanted. I was going to call him to tell him I did and got that told to me instead." I said softly and he pulled me up.

"Well, as much as I hate him I know that Mackenzie loves you both. It's a shame what she's going through and you love kids. You've always wanted them. I know she wouldn't be your biological daughter, but I know you'd give her the world." He said and I wiped my eyes but was still crying. It was the nicest thing he said to me. I genuinely hated him with a passion, but throughout our entire relationship and everything he never cared that much to say something that nice.

"Thank you." I sighed and rubbed my temple.

"Go home and take a personal day tomorrow-and do me a favor. If you adopt her with him, tell your dad first. Talk to him." He said and I hugged him and didn't say anything. I didn't really like getting comforted by him, but i needed someone.