Chapter 32

I was at work the Monday after and I hadn't seen Trevor all day. His last day was coming up and it was honestly making me sad knowing he wouldn't be there every morning to kiss me or joke with me. I was waiting for him to come through my door at any second and crack jokes with me, but he didn't.

When lunch time came around, I decided to stay in my room and get work done rather than sit in the break room eating donuts and bagels. While I was sitting there, I heard a knock on my door and looked up into the small rectangular window of it to see Trevor standing there and I smiled weakly at him in. He smiled weakly before walking in and he sat down in front of my desk on a table.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey." He said.

"I haven't seen you today. Where have you been?" I asked.

"I've been here." He nodded and I smiled weakly.

"You've been hiding from me then, huh?" I asked as a joke and he shrugged. Something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." He said.

"Trevor." I warned and he looked up at me.

"I chose her." He said simply and I looked up at him from a paper I was grading and I put it down.

"What?" I asked.

"I chose her." He repeated and I went to talk but nothing came out. I just stared at him for a second before nodding. What else could I expect? He married her for a reason.

"Okay." I said.

"I just think it'll be easier especially when I'm gone. I won't see you and feel tempted and I can focus more on her and I. I talked to her last night and we actually listened to each other for once and laughed. It just feels like the beginning of our marriage again and I'm happier." He said and I smiled weakly.

"That's good." I said.

"Bailey, I don't want to make you upset. I still care about you I just-"

"No, I get it. Trust me I'm not hurt by it at all. I'm happy you found each other again and understand each other." I said and he nodded slowly.

"I just don't want you to feel like-"

"Trevor, I'm the one that wanted you to fix things with her. I don't need to be comforted. I'm happy that you're happy and figuring things out with her." I said and he nodded slowly.

"So-" he paused and he stood up.

"So." I said and he walked around my desk and he kissed my cheek.

"Don't think I don't care about you. I'm serious." He said and I looked down at my hands in my lap.

"You know I care about you too. I'm happy for you-" I paused and I wasn't looking at him while talking. I was nervous to.

"This was the hardest decision of my life." He said and I closed my eyes and he wrapped his arms around me and he knelt down next to me. I wrapped my arms around him and he kissed my forehead.

"You know if you ever need me I'll be there for you. Just call me, okay?" He asked.

"You aren't leaving yet, are you?" I asked.

"Today's my last day." He said and my eyes softened.

"I thought you said it was the end of the week-"

"I thought it was the end of the week but my chief leaves tomorrow and it's a whole retirement thing on the force so I have to go to that and then I start. They're getting another guy here from my station tomorrow. If he's cute you should get with him. Maybe he won't be married or an indecisive dick." He said and my eyes softened.