Chapter 159

"So what happened?" I asked.

"I got a threat put on me today." He said.

"So you're losing your job?" I asked.

"No-Not from my job or boss or anything, from some guy.." He sighed. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it.

"Some guy? What kind of threat? Just tell me." I said.

"Some guy said he was going to kill me-I don't know. It wasn't that serious. I get told by multiple people they're going to kill me because of being a cop in general, but he kept saying it and he drew a gun on me. I had back up there thankfully." He said and I cocked an eyebrow.

"What happened?" I asked.

"We were far away from him but a bullet can still travel. We kept backing away from him and trying to talk him out of it so we could get the gun out of his hands. He started to run toward us without shooting or anything and once he was basically three feet away he stopped and started to taunt us. My guy was beside me but I was still closer to the guy. He ended up grabbing me and putting me in a headlock. I tried grabbing my gun from my belt but he was grabbing it and trying to shoot me. He put the gun up but my guys started to shoot him before he could pull the trigge on me and he died. He died next to me while I was freaking out on the ground. Not even because he died, but because he grabbed me and almost killed me. I don't know. What if today was the last day, you know? Sometimes I think about it. All I could think about was you and the kids. When he let go of me after being shot, I had a panic attack and my guys thought I was shot but I just couldn't breathe and was holding my chest. It was the worst feeling I had in a while. I'm okay and I'm lucky nothing happened to me today. That's all. I'm just happy I'm home with you." He said and he kissed my forehead as he tucked strands of hair behind my ear.

"You realize I worry about things like this happening to you because they constantly happen to you, right? It scares me. That's so serious and I'm sure you handled it better than anyone else would have and better than you thought you did." I said and he kissed my cheek.

"I know. I just really freaked out after." He said and I nodded.

"And that's normal." I said and I rubbed his shoulder.

"You are literally the strongest person I know. You get through anything and you have the worst luck but the best luck at the same time. You're always injured or put in bad situations, but you always get out of them and heal pretty good or just beat someone's ass." I said and he chuckled weakly and nodded.

"I think we both have pretty good luck and are pretty strong." He said and I nodded. He rubbed my back and I nuzzled into him more as I rubbed his shoulder.

"I love you, Bailey." He said.

"I love you, too."

* * *

Trev and I made love that night, and the next morning went back to work. He even did after what happened. He told me he was sick of letting things bother him so he just wanted to act like it didn't happen and move on, which I figured. It made complete sense. He was tired of the bullshit happening and being set back, and so was I. Everytime we took a step forward we took two steps back.

I got home from work after picking Dak up from daycare and trev wasn't home yet, so I texted him to ask when he was getting home and he didn't reply. I called him after, and it went straight to voicemail.

"Hey, babe. Just calling to see when you're coming home. I had a good day today, I hope today was better for you too. Love you." I said and hung up. I closed out of the call and I saw I had a voicemail from him. It was about an hour before I sent him mine, so I played it.

"I love you. I know you're working but I was just calling to tell you I love you. Everything's going to be okay." He said and the voicemail ended. My smile faded and I called him again. It went straight to voicemail that time and I started to panic.

"Dak!" I called and he walked into the living room.

"Come on sweetheart. We're going to find daddy." I said.

"Daddy is home." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"He's sleeping in the room." He said.

"What room?" I asked.

"Downstairs." He said and I lightly jogged to the guest room. Trev was literally laying down and snoring in the bed. I went to him and threw a pillow at him and he flinched in his sleep and woke up.

"What?" He asked.

"You fucking asshole." I said.

"What?" He asked and sat up with his hair a mess.

"Why in the hell would you leave me a voicemail like that? You made me think something was wrong and I couldn't get ahold of you. Where is your car?" I asked.

"I left it at work. I was rushed home today." He said sleepily and he ran his fingers through his hair.

"What happened now?" I asked.

"Nothing. I just wanted to take a day off and I asked if chase could drop me off. It's not that serious." He said.

"You left me a voicemail saying everything was going to be okay." I said and he lifted his shirt up and showed me a bruise covering his left side and my eyes softened.

"I didn't even get stabbed or shot or anything. I literally fell." He said and I pinched the bridge of my nose before rubbing my temples.

"How did you fall? Why is their a bandage?" I asked.

"Well. I was on the scene of a car accident and I just fell, I don't know. I guess I'm just clumsy and have no luck whatsoever when it comes to my job. I broke a rib though. Couldn't breathe. Still can't move much. I've really been having fun lately." He said and I sighed and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"I'm sorry I freaked out on you. I didn't know." I said and he carefully laid back down and he put his hand on my thigh.

"It's fine. I'm sorry I didn't text you or anything. I just fell asleep." He said.

"It's fine." I said and he rubbed my knee.

"I thought you honestly were mad at me for doing something and I didn't know what I did." He said.

"I was honestly mad because I thought you were just sleeping all day and left me a voicemail the way you did for no reason." I said and he shook his head.

"Nope. Just a broken rib."