•Thirty-nine•

Eloise
-x-

10:55am
19th August 2019

I couldn't stop jogging my knee up and down as I sat there anxiously waiting for my name to be called.

Today was the day of my first scan and I was beyond nervous to see the doctor. It still hadn't sunk in that I had a baby in my stomach. I was scared and saddened at the fact that Shawn wasn't here to experience this with me.

"Would you stop shaking your leg? It's annoying" Liam sighed, not trying to be harsh as I listened and stopped moving my leg.

"I'm sorry, I'm just really nervous" I worried as I sat up right in my chair.

"Don't be, you should be excited" Liam gave me a smile as he wrapped his arm over my shoulder and pulling me against his side.

"I know and I am, in a way" I sighed.

"It'd just be so much better if Shawn was here"

"I get it, you want him involved but right now he's got other things going on and it sucks" Liam soothed, rubbing his hand up and down my arm.

Silence fell between us as I remained resting against his side. Eventually after a few more minutes my name was called by one of the doctors so Liam and I got up.

Following the doctor into her room she introduced herself before telling me to lay on the long uncomfy pregnancy table.

"So is this your first one?" The doctor gently smiled as Liam stood beside me.

"Yeah" I simply nodded, giving her a small smile to hide my nerves.

"Oh that's exciting, you hoping for a boy or a girl?" She asked before then requesting me to lift my top up.

"I don't mind" I laughed lightly, not actually having even thought about it.

"What about the father? A boy?" The doctor smiled over at Liam as I looked up at him to see him red in the face.

"Oh, no" Liam laughed, a little embarrassed.

"I'm not the father, I'm just standing in for him" Liam explained, and I could tell that he felt a little awkward and guilty for it.

"Oh I'm sorry" the doctor quickly apologised as she began placing some cold gel on my stomach, immediately making me since at the feeling.

"It's fine, he'll do for now" I joked as I looked up at Liam.

He stiffled a short laugh before leaning down and taking my hand in his, his eyes catching mine for a second.

"If you look at the screen you will be able to see your baby" the doctor said shortly after moving a scanner over the top of my gel covered belly.

Taking my eyes of Liam's I looked over at the screen and immediately I felt my heart do a million somersaults in a row. There layed my baby on the screen, their heartbeat sounding around the room.

I had no words. I had a baby, my very own baby.

"How amazing is that?" Liam said in awe as I felt his lips kiss the top of my hand.

"I know" I said breathlessly.

"I can't believe it"

"Does it feel more real now?" The doctor asked, causing me to slowly nod as I took in the fact that I had a tiny human growing inside of me.

"As you can hear your baby already has a heart beat, and from what I can see of the scan you are already eight  weeks along" The doctor explained causing me to widen my eyes.