•Thirty-four•

12:38pm
10th August

"Well?" Liam said as I opened my eyes.

"I'm-" I felt my throat become dry as I stared down at the stick.

"I'm pregnant"

Liam erupted in a gasp as I felt my hands begin to shake. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know how to feel.

"Should I be celebrating or is this not a good thing?" Liam asked, clearly shocked as I looked up at his wide eyes.

"I don't know, I-" I barely got out as my voice broke mid sentence.

"It's okay, don't panic" Liam soothed as he reached forward and took my hands in his to stop them from shaking.

"Do you want me to be there when you tell Shawn?"

"Wh- I can't tell him" I shook my head as a few tears began to fall down my cheeks.

"What do you mean Eloise? You've got to talk to him" Liam furrowed his eyebrows at me as I slipped my hands out of his.

"No, I can't" I said sadly as I squeezed my eyes shut to try stop the tears.

"Yes you can, you can't keep this to yourself" Liam sighed, keeping his voice soft.

"Shawn doesn't need to know, not yet. This will just send him over the edge. He's already got enough to worry about" I replied as I wiped the tears away with my sleeves.

"He's the father, he deserves to know straight away, even if it isn't exactly the best time for a baby right now" Liam tried to persuade but I just continued to shake my head.

"No, this will just kill him to not remember that we were even trying for a baby. All he remembers is being an 18-year-old boy" I explained, just wanting Liam to listen and agree with me.

"I know it's going to be hard but you can't just lie to him Eloise. Do you think he's not gonna notice that something is up in a few months time when you have a bump?" Liam rose eyebrows at me as I held the pregnancy test against my chest.

"I'll tell him eventually but right now please just don't say anything to him. I don't want him to stress out" I pleaded as I reached forward and clasped Liam's hand with one of mine.

Liam gave me a wide eyes look as he stood there, in serious thought and hesitation of whether to agree.

"What's in it for me? Liam asked.

"If you don't tell him about me being pregnant then-" I said, letting out a massive sigh at not wanting to even suggest or negotiate this.

"I won't tell Shawn how him being in here is your fault"

-x-

1 week later

11:47am
17th August 2019

Shawn had now been in hospital for just over a week. He was hardly in any pain anymore, but he was yet to have tried to walk. So today that was our aim, to get him out of bed and on his feet again.

I was sat opposite Shawn as he hung his legs over the side of the bed. He was trying to talk himself up to try and stand on his feet.

"Do you want me to help you or get some nurses? I offered again, for the 5th time.

"No, I've got it Elle. I just need a couple more minutes" Shawn sighed as he rested his hands either side of him.

"It's like watching a cat learn how to swim" I joked as I pulled my cardigan around me so I was more comfortbale.