Autism~ jcdwriter

I am autistic.

Autism is not a disease.

Autism is not something that can be controlled.

Autistic girls are often ignored or misdiagnosed because autistic girls are brushed off as "uncommon", despite the fact autistic girls are more likely to mask in order to seem more socially acceptable and socially competent.

Autism is a spectrum disorder that is different for every autistic person.

There is no "little bit" or "mildly" or "severely" autistic. It is only "mild" or "severe" for the people around the autistic person.

An autistic person's ability to function goes beyond the scope of their verbal abilities. Most autistic people need help in certain areas of their lives, which is completely fine.

Each symptom of autism is on its own spectrum.

Autistic people's intelligence and ability to love are just as varied as neurotypical people's.

Just because an autistic person is completely or mostly non-speaking doesn't mean that they are of low-intelligence or like babies. Autistic people who are non-verbal often learn different forms of communication, such as sign language or writing.

Please do not judge someone who is autistic just because they're autistic. Please research, and please read plenty of material written by actual autistics. Please listen to us and show us compassion just as you would any other human being.

Please remember, as stated above, that all autistic people are different. An autistic person you meet might not be like your friend's sister's friend's son, and that's perfectly normal and to be expected.

Please help the autistic people you do know, whether they need help to understand social nuances, help in a sensory overstimulating area, or if they just need a friend and someone who's willing to listen to them.

Please, respect autistics who stim (practice a self-stimulating ritual or repetitive action), even if it seems strange to you.

Please, encourage autistics people's special interests and don't put them down for them.

Please, be an ally.

Oftentimes, the difficulty autistics face is because of the sheer rarity of people who take the time to try to understand them and show them basic empathy and compassion.

With Love ♥️,

jcdwriter