2 - Blood For Blood (Part 2) (Not Edited)

Start from the beginning

Declan continued. "We have rules, Eden. No one hits unless they're told to."

"What was I sup-" Declan's finger smashed against Eden's lips, "Please, don't be rude. I'm talking."

Sofia giggled behind her spotted cloth.

Declan released Eden's mouth. He nudged her forward so that the two-woman faced each other. "You've drawn Sofia's blood and now it's her right to draw yours. It's how we make things right."

"An eye for an eye. Blood for blood" The words were soft on Eden's lips.

"Exactly!" Declan's cheer startled her.

Sofia glared at Eden, the child like innocence within her eyes faded. In its place was something cold and dark, something purely evil.

"Blood for blood." Sofia whispered, stepping closer toward Eden. "You drew mine and now I will draw yours. It's only fair." The side of her mouth ticked up in a menacing grin.

Declan slipped behind Eden, his hands resting over her shoulders. "Now Eden," He spoke softly against her ear all while looking up at Sofia. "You mustn't move an inch. Do you understand?"

Eden gathered up her inner strength and nodded. When she turned her head to speak their mouths nearly collided in an unexpecting kiss as she spoke, "Let's get this over with."

But it was Declan who brushed his lips against her. He smiled.

"Good." He abruptly moved away and began to speak to the others, who stood watching silently from the side.

"I know we haven't needed to do this for years," Declan said. "but there comes a time when traditions must resurface, and this is one for the making. Blood for blood. A refreshing classic in a time of great boredom."

The grip on Eden's shoulders tightened as Declan spoke to Sofia, "You're allowed one hit, so make it count. Draw Eden's blood and take your pound of flesh. Understood?"

"Blood for blood." Sofia whispered almost like a hypnotic chant and that grin widen into something dark and sinister as she stepped closer.

Declan stepped back, releasing Eden and allowing them room.

Eden glanced back at him, wondering if there would be some form of countdown. As she turned back, she caught a blur of movement rushing towards her. Seconds later, Sofia's fist slammed into Eden's cheek, knocking her backwards and onto her ass at Declan's feet.

Everything froze. All Eden could hear was the pounding of her racing heart behind her ears. The rush of blood coursing through her heated veins. And then, in the far-off distance was the familiar sound of thrashing waves in the void.

She sucked in a lungful of ocean scented air and screamed into the void whose claw like hands were starting to reach for her.

Burning white stars spotted Eden's vision, erupting in panful bursts of blinding light as dizziness overcame her. She reached for her cheek, drew in a deep breath as she leaned into Declan's legs, as though he would offer her some form of protection. The skin burned beneath her probing fingers. But when she pulled them away, there was nothing but pale white.

Eden collapsed to the floor, the cold wood pressing against her battered cheek.

No blood. Eden thought as a faint smile danced over her lips. The turbulent noise of the void settled around her, cradling her wounded body like a mother would her baby. Tiny hands stroked her hair, her skin, calming her almost instantly and urged her to sit up.

But in reality, it wasn't the void who spoke to Eden, who comforted her. It was Declan. He knelt at her side, stroking softly her hair softly with his fingertip. He titled her head up by the chin with the gentlest of force to inspect the outcome.

"No blood." His fingers grazed her heated skin. "A wasted hit, but a hit, nonetheless. It'll do."

Eden couldn't help but lean into his touch thinking it was the void there to comfort her in her time of need.

But when Declan pulled his fingers away from her, the void's hand retreated, leaving her alone to suffer.

Moments later, Declan hauled Eden to her feet to the sounds of Sofia's relentless whining.

"She needs to bleed for it to be blood for blood. I deserve another hit. This isn't fair!"

Eden laughed in her dizzy state, not realizing how tight her hold was on Declan's arm as he deposited her on the barstool. "Perhaps you wish to push me into the rosebush too while you're at it?"

"I should whip you with those roses!" That feral savageness within Sofia returned. She took a threatening step forward and right into Declan's fist.

Sofia crumbled to the floor, screaming, clutching her nose. Fresh blood dripped between her fingers. Declan's foot caught Sofia in the side, another in her gut. She rolled to her side, drawing her knees to her chest and covered her head with shaking arms as Declan continued to kick her, again and again.

The room was filled with Sofia's screams and pleas for mercy. They mixed with Declan's heavy grunts.

"Enough!" That word, spoken so many times within the last few minutes, echoed now within the space, it drowned out the thuds of Declan's kicks.

Eden watched Sofia's beating in silence terror. Tears welled up in her eyes as her past came rushing back. She'd seen this anger time and time again in someone else.

Keelan. It always comes back to you.

The abuse being carried out in front of Eden's eyes stood as a fierce reminder of just how terrible it could be for her in the coming days, months, even years if she continued to fight Declan.

Eden cried; her eyes glued to the quivering mess that was Sofia on the floor at Declan's feet. Blood smeared over her hands, up her arms, as she desperately tried to block his kicks. Then she cried for herself, knowing this was a tiny glimpse of her future.

Declan's fingers sunk into Sofia's hair, shaking her like a rag doll. She was weak against his strength and didn't fight him. With a horrified yelp, he hauled Sofia to her feet by her hair only to throw her against the wall, pinning her with a forearm pressed against her neck.

"Dare to defy me again and I'll have you hung upside down and whipped until you bleed." His fury came out as a scream. "Do you understand me!"

"Yes." The word came out as a bubbling mess of blood.

"You were allowed one hit and failed to draw Eden's blood." He released Sofia with a final shake and stepped back. "That fail is on you and no one else. Now get back in line."

Sofia stood frozen against the wall; her cries muffled by a shaky hand. Moving slowly, she stepped back into line without another word. The fight within Sofia's eye burned out, leaving behind an abused little girl. Her fear of Declan, the raw fury behind her will to listen, that spoke volumes.

Sofia's gaze drifted toward Eden on the barstool. She wasn't done with her yet, not by a long shot.

Declan paused his pacing, stopping right in front of Ben. He lifted Ben's chin with a few fingers. "It's time for our winner to choose his reward."

Words: 1,814

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.