Belonging - Tuesday ~ Nicole

Tuesday : Belonging ~ Nicole

I'm sure all of us have felt out of place at one point or another. I certainly have. When I make a joke and no one laughs. When I wear an outfit I love but I can feel people giving me strange looks. Or even among my own friends, when they start a conversation about something I'm not interested in or a part of, and they exclude me unintentionally.

Being on the outside of something hurts. We're all human, and humans are made to be social and form healthy relationships, no matter how introverted we are. The thing to remember, though, is that nothing lasts forever. Loneliness, isolation, and social exclusion are painful states of being—but they are temporary and very difficult to stay in. Eventually, someone will break through the shell, whether it's a relative, a parent, a sibling, a stranger, or a new friend.

If someone ever makes you feel like you'll be "forever alone" or that you're too weird to be friends with—don't believe them. You may be different from others. But everyone is unique, no matter how similar every "basic" girl or "popular" guy may seem. Beneath the surface, we are each uniquely formed and created by God to be different from one another.

If you feel like you're constantly stuck in a lonely routine—stop! Break your routine. Try something new: a new hobby, sport, or club. It may be scary and uncomfortable, but it will help you grow. Find friends online! Wattpad is a great place for that, since everyone here already has a common love of books.

Or try to do something good for others: go volunteering. Reach out to others, to the new girl or the loner. Just don't wallow in self-pity and think, I'm never going to fit in anywhere. No one will ever understand me. I'll never have friends.

Embrace what makes you different. Even if that means always being alone. Improve yourself, learn new things, do what makes you happy even if you're not doing it with friends. It's better to be alone than have fake friends.

Stay positive, and stay strong girls. ❤️❤️❤️