Stressed out! ~ Rylee

As I am writing this I just went through my first day on school! It was so hard! I didn't get any sleep. My schedule got changed and I went to the wrong class! I was nervous and I was stressing myself out over the first day of school! It may not seem like much to you guys but to me it is.

It's can be hard but I won't go down without a fight and I have plenty of people who would love to help me out. But what happens when I can't reach those people? The people that give me confidence? The people that inspire me and give me help when I need it the most?

I turn to a special list I was given. I take counseling at school for my Autism. We work on my goals and skills. And we talk about my Autism, Epilepsy, and anything else that I might feel a need to get off my chest.

In year a school counselor gave me a sheet of paper and it had tricks to help if I got stressed out or nervous. And she showed me some other tricks as well. I want to help you guys get through another stressful year. I know what it's like to be scared out of your mind over a little speech you have to tell in front of your class. I know the feeling of being stressed out and need a better way to escape before I send myself into a seizure.

Anxiety, stress, and nervousness is normal. I have to work through it. So today I decided I will share my tricks with you as well as talk about stress.

So let's talk about today. These last couple of days my little cousin had to stay the night because of her mom taking medicine that will make others sick. She kept getting up even though me and my sister were trying to sleep for school.

Lights went off and on and the same with the TV. And on top of that I couldn't sleep at all! I was getting overheated over the covers. What was keeping me awake? Was it because I wasn't on a healthy schedule yet for both school and my Epilepsy? Or was it because my sister reminded me of a old friend? A old friend I had feelings for and he treated me so horribly because he cared about his reputation more than me.

I tried figuring out what was keeping me awake and trying to do every trick to help me sleep. But the stress and nervousness didn't end there. At five o'clock I was awaken by my mom. I had to get up, get dress, let my mom do my hair and makeup. And I had to get my little cousin to eat and brush her teeth.

I had to rush to take my medicine, and get myself ready as well for the day. I had to find my medical bracelet and put it on. Then I had to go to the nurse’s office and drop off my new medicine for the nurse. I followed my schedule and I ended up in the wrong class!

I was so stressed out and nervous! I had to walk to the office and figure out where I was suppose to go. A teacher helped me out and I found out my first period teacher but I was thinking about how everybody's eyes would be on me once I entered that classroom. A teacher assistant walked me to my class.

Then after first period I had to go to the counselings center. They couldn't help me so they sent me to the office and I finally found my right schedule! I followed it to my next class. It was going go from there until I had to find my chemistry teacher. I passed his room several times and never noticed. Once I did I felt so stupid! I was ashamed of myself and I couldn't bring myself to look at anyone, not even my friend. And from then on the teacher kept on confusing me.

I didn't understand a thing. And on top of that my sister was stressing me out too whenever she saw me. It was her first day at that school but I was lost too. My backpack was getting so heavy.

And I was handed paper after paper. Trying to figure out what I need for this class and sign up for remind. Then I come home and have to do my chores. Today I forgot that there are ways to help calm me down and now I'm going to share them with you.

AFFECTIVE MODULATION HANDOUT:
WAYS TO FEEL BETTER RIGHT NOW

1. Stop whatever you are doing, close your eyes, and take 10 slow, deep breaths.

2. Visualize your "safe place."

3. Go to a quiet room and read a good book.

4. Listen to your favorite music.

5. Pray, meditate, or focus on your special relaxation phrase.

6. Listen to, watch, or read something funny.

7. Go outside and take a walk in a safe area.

8. Run in place for 5 minutes.

9. Call a friend.

10. Talk to a parent or other adult who understands and listens.

11. Write in your journal.

12. Volunteer

13. Sing out loud.

14. Dance.

15. Tell yourself that things will get better.

16. Take a warm bath.

17. Make something with your hands: Knit, sew, crochet, woodwork, paint, etc.

18. Tell yourself five good things about yourself.

19. Talk about your feelings.

20. Tell someone you love him/her.

21. Play with your pet.

22. Do something to help someone else.

Try finding a calming activity to do the next time you're stressed out or nervous. Find something that works for you. Everyone works different so you may like to go outside to help with stress while I might like to sing or listen to music. But I encourage you to try out my list I share with you and see what works. I hope I helped you in some way with dealing with stress. It's a hard thing to deal with but we can do it. It's just sometimes we need to find our limit and once we almost reached our limit we need to stop and calm down. Remember to not stress yourself out over everything. Because you can do this! ❤️ midnightdeadroses