We Talked About Tomatoes: 14 - Back off

Start from the beginning

"Hey," Bryce greeted. "I have come to relieve you of your duty. Go hang out with the girls and Harriette."

Georgia gave a small, expected smile, her mind going back to Rachel's words: 'Can you back off?' What in the world did that even mean anyway? She said they could still chat. It wasn't as if Georgia was going to make *another* move on him again. That kiss was a stupid, fantastically great one-off.

"Sitting and staring at Nick is not exactly a duty. If only he'd give me telepathic advice while he's . . . sleeping." Georgia tried a little Steph. She tried to be hopeful: Nick was only sleeping. Even though Georgia knew he was truly in a coma. In a strange balance of life and death. She didn't think it was working. Being 'optimistic' like this came off a little more 'delusional' in her eyes.

"Ahh, well. Better not ask me then, I'm kind of crazy." He chuckled. Oh, what a lovely chuckle that was. So soft and light. "I think we need to talk about . . . last time."

Darn. Last time. Also known as, "Bryce I still love you" time. Georgia wished there was a genie to turn her into a puddle, if she wasn't melting into her hard, plastic chair already. She cleared her throat and straightened up. It was like that time she was sent to the Principal's Office. She didn't know what she'd done wrong so all she could do was sit and look smart.

Georgia waited for him to start and Bryce took her expectant face as a cue. "I know we've talked about this as many times as Tiger Woods has cheated on his wife" - Georgia cringed, it wasn't the best simile, considering that she had actually cheated on him - "but we never get it right or finished. You make me feel the way any guy would want to feel. But come on, that was when we were teens. We all know teen love is puppy love. First loves never last."

He shrugged. He knew it was true. Wasn't it? That was the rule. Wasn't it? He forgot that with rules come exceptions. He was saying it because that's what he thought. That's what he'd heard. But was that how he really felt? And wasn't Bryce just convincing her and himself as well?

Georgia swallowed. She blinked her eyes and opened them wide. She couldn't cry. No, shouldn't cry. Was it not only an hour or two ago that she promised Rachel she'd back off? Stay friendly? Not too friendly, of course.

"Fine. Okay. I take it back then! If that's all we were: stupid, childish, limited, fake, puppy love then I guess that means I never really loved you. You never really loved me. Great. Well, good to know worrying for five years was just a big, fat waste. Thanks so much for pointing that out to me. And first love not lasting? Have you MET Steph and Nick? What is- ughh. You know what? You can actually relieve me of my duty. I'd rather hang out with the girls and Harriette."

Georgia grabbed her brown handbag from the seat and stormed out. Why in the world was she so angry? She found that she agreed with it. Wasn't that why she went with Bryce in the first place? She thought it'd end up to be nothing too serious. So was she angry because she agreed? Or the fact that even romantic Bryce had grown up enough to realise that they shouldn't be together?

But didn't he feel it? Didn't he feel that urge to be together? That urge to see each other? That urge to kiss so much your lips would chap and tingle? That urge to hug each other so tight they'd suffocate and need an oxygen mask? Georgia shook her pretty, little head. He mustn't have. She replayed the words he said like a record player on the fritz.

They were nothing.

****************************

"Woah, slow down. The speed in Georgia isn't a hundred miles an hour you know," Steven joked, holding Georgia by the shoulders to stop her from stomping away. Her stomp wasn't as dramatic as she'd hoped - she was only wearing flats.

"We're not IN Georgia, Steven."

Steven dropped his hands to his side. Clearly disappointed that she hadn't gotten it. "You're right. So what's up? Or more likely, what's wrong?"

Georgia sighed. "Bryce. Rachel. She might as well have accused me of being a home-wrecker. Then Bryce tells me that being in love when you're a teen is absolutely pointless and stupid. So yeah, I've had a GREAT day. And Nick is still coma-ing."

"Coma-ing? I think you mean: being in the state of comatose!" Steven laughed.

"Thanks. Just what I needed today. I poured my heart out to you and you laugh at me for not knowing enough words?" She said incredulously, that tension lifting from her shoulders like the steam rising from a boiling pot.

Steven shrugged and smiled widely. Those straight teeth almost twinkling in the harsh white lights of the hospital. He was glad he could make her smile, even on this 'great' day of hers. Did he really never make her feel special? Wasn't this special? Wasn't it enough?

"Fine, fine," he amended. "Well, I don't think you're a home-wrecker. Look at you. You aren't nearly as hot as Rachel Uchitel," he joked.

Great, Georgia thought. ANOTHER Tiger Woods joke. "Oh, haha," she deadpanned.

"No, but seriously. How can you be a home-wrecker? It's not like he's cheating on her. It's not like you made him. And teen love IS pointless and stupid! That's what makes it so memorable. My first girlfriend? She said she'd rather play with her dog than hang out with me. Of course we were only thirteen at the time, but still. A guy has some serious ego-problems too, you know?"

Georgia laughed. "Why do I think you're trying to make me laugh instead of solving my problem?"

"Because I am," Steven simply answered. "I'm not Nick. I don't solve problems like he does. I'm just here for you, okay? Whatever you need. If you want me to beat up Bryce I will."

"I don't think you can - or should - bribe me with violence, but thanks anyway." Georgia smiled.

Bonus, Steven thought. It lighted up her whole face. Made that weary, annoyed Georgia go away and threaten to never return. Her smile showed that perfect top row of white teeth. It pushed up her flushed cheeks and made them fuller. She was so beautiful. Why in the world was Steven thinking this? He's here for Nick, his brother, not to get back together with his ex-college fling.

But maybe he could along the way?

*********************

Harry sat with Bryce in his home. Harry's double bed was big enough to have them spread out and relax on the bouncy surface. Harry flipped through his day planner, working through his appointments for the day.

Bryce sighed audibly. "Georgia got pissed at me today. I just said that teen love doesn't last." He shrugged, trying to avoid the thought that he'd actually hurt her.

Harry looked and sat up. "Have you met Steph and Nick? Their teen love has lasted for . . . forever!"

"Yeah, that's what she said too. It's just . . . I have Rachel, you know?"

"Do you like Georgia in that way though? Because if you do . . . If you doubt your feelings for Rachel, even a bit, and if you think that you'll be happier with Georgia then go for it. I mean, fix things with Rachel first then go for it. To me you and Rachel look more like friends than lovers. If anything your relationship with Gee was more mature than what you have with Rachel. Just what I think."

Harry felt wiser having said that. He was rooting for Georgia. She deserved to get the better end of the stick after he had stuffed up her life. If it wasn't his fault from the beginning he was actually quite unsure who he'd go for. Rachel was exactly like Bryce: bubbly, cute, funny, playful - they were a perfect match. But, like Barney and Robin**, did two things cancel each other out?

**How I Met Your Mother Reference :P

Bryce shrugged and sighed exasperatedly. Even he didn't have to think this hard for his finals in university. "I'll just have to talk to her again. Damn that sucks. Look at this; I'm being such a downer. I should be cheering up Steph and yet here I am worrying about this stupid love life."

++++++++++

Sorry if that was short. It's 3 pages isn't it?? I'm guessing since this is on word. Anyhoos, sorry if it was. Simply cannot write right now. Have essay due. Already :O and it's only the start of school! :( yes, depressing I know. Thanks for reading!! PLease vote, comment and whatever else. I hope you enjoyed WTAT ;D

Ana