9 - Follow The Leader (3/14/2019 update)

Start from the beginning

"Respect you?"

"Among other things." He stepped closer, lowering his voice. "Then I remind myself that the difficult ones are always the most satisfying to break."

"Are you calling me difficult?"

"Not at all. You're a challenge, Eden." Another step brought them chest to chest. "One I'll gladly take on. Are you ready to listen to my proposition?"

Am I? She opened her mouth to speak but movement in the line broke their trance.

The pair before them turned and she internally cringed at the wrinkly, old man in front of her. He reeked of whiskey sours, stale cigars, and a never-ending pit of money. Like everyone who partook in Cat's Alley.

The old man gave Eden a quick once over then turned his yellowed tooth grin towards the girl hanging on his arm. "Come along, Dear. My pill is kicking in and I want to fuck."

The unfortunate thing led her Benjamin Button look alike toward a different hall without so much as smile or a frown. She was indifferent.

"Someone wants to experience their youth again." Declan's whispered next to her ear.

Eden burst into laughter, turning into his side to hide her immature outburst.

"How quick you are to forgive." He added, "I can work with that."

"And remember, don't get cum on the couches!" A petite blonde behind the counter called after them.

Eden dissolved into another fit of hysterics and buried her face buried against Declan's shirt. Beneath her palms, came the low rumbling of his chest. He was laughing. Not at her, but with her. There came the light pressure of his arms as they slid around her waist in an awkward hug.

"What's wrong with her?"

Eden peaked from between her fingers, but it was Declan who spoke. "Ms. Burrows' is experiencing some sort of fit at the moment."

His face dipped low. The trace of a bearded cheek. "Now that's enough, Eden."

She nodded before resurfacing for air.

"All better now?" A streak of sympathy across his face. The hint of a warm smile stole her breath. Her eyes dropped to his up turned mouth. It was different from the one before. The sudden urge to kiss him struck and all she could do was mutter a rushed response.

"Much. Thanks."

"Well look who it is. Eden doin' her first private. Never thought I'd see the day."

"That makes two of us." Eden said.

"And who's this?" The girl twirled a chunk of hair around a slim finger. "You must be someone special to get anything from this one." She nodded in Eden's direction.

"Declan Payne. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"You're shittin' me." The girl's eyes widen. "The Declan Payne? As in the owner of-"

"The one and only." Declan's grin grew with pride. "Kelsey, I presume?"

"Yup." Kelsey leaned over the counter and buried her face in her hands. "I'm a huge fan of your Chain Me, Cane Me series. It's fan-fuckin'-tastic if I'm honest." She scrambled for a scrap of paper and slid it and a pen Declan's way. "Can I have your autograph?"