2- Declan Comes Home Early (not edited)

Start from the beginning

                  "My father would have." Declan lean against the counter top. "Better yet. I remember him doing something just like that to you."

                  Her joking demeanor hardened, becoming serious in seconds. "You are not your father, Declan. I won't ever allow you to forget that. You offer mercy when your father never could." She pointed at his chest. "There is a heart inside of you even if you refuse to admit it. Your father, on the other hand, was filled with nothing but hatred and darkness."

                  "She didn't finish her food." Declan spoke softly, more to himself than anyone else.

                  "Then you punish her like you would any other slave in your possession."

                  "But I'm not sure I want to."

                  "You must follow through with your discipline. It's the only way she'll learn." A smile pulled at the corners of her wrinkled mouth.

                  "What are you saying?"

                  "Not all punishments need to involve pain."

                  "She didn't submit her will."

                  "I'm not telling you to go to the sheets with the girl." Matilda laughed. "She's an entertainer, right? Make her do what she does best. She won't see it as a punishment and you won't have to feel guilty."

***Eden***

Eden groaned around a mouthful of food. Her parched lips and mouth yearned for moisture, for water, for something that would make swallowing easier.

When Matilda first offered her water she ignored her, wouldn't even look at her for fear of begging for help and wouldn't be offered. The second time was difficult and the third was down right impossible. She gulped the water down in seconds and came up gasping for air.

"Our little secret, Dearie? No one needs to know about this." Matilda had taken the glass and left Eden be.

That was hours ago. Now Eden's legs had gone numb, her arms ached with the strain of holding her weight up. She hadn't even noticed that Declan had come back. 

Declan knelt next to Eden, lifting her head by her braid. "It's a shame that you haven't finished your food."

She forced herself to swallow the remaining clump in her mouth to speak. "I tried. I honestly did."

"Stand up." He stood, clearly expecting her to follow suit. But she didn't. Not because she didn't want to. It was because she couldn't move. Her limbs would hold her weight.

"I can't-"

"Are you already defying me?"

"No." She mumbled and fell to her hip. "I can't feel my legs."

"Well then, we have ourselves quite the predicament."

"Give it some time." Her belly was full to the max and she feared that at any moment it would burst or she was going to vomit. "The feeling should come back."

"Come." He bent down and scooped Eden up into his arms. "I'm taking you to bed."

"Lead the way." She had no energy to fight him.

"No fight?"

She let loose an echoing burp. "Nope."

"Well that was charming." They reached the stairs and headed up.

"Would you rather I fart on you?" She asked. "Are you in to that? Maybe I can muster something up."

"You fart on me and I will drop you down these stairs."

"You wouldn't"

"I'm a man of my word." Declan faked like he was going to drop her when he reached the top of the stairs.

Eden threw her arms around his neck, clinging to him.

Their faces were mere inches from each other. "Your breath smells like old eggs."

"Yeah? Well you need a proper shave."

He shook his head, laughing to himself. "You're lucky I'm not taking you to my chambers."

"I'd say you're lucky too."

"How so?" He carried her down the last hallway and paused in front of her room.

"If you tried anything I'd likely vomit all over you." This time Eden laughed. "Are you in to that kind of thing?"

"I'm not depraved." He eased her to the ground, allowing her to stand. "I do have standards, Eden."

Eden hissed out her discomfort. "Pins and needles." With that she was back in his arms and was carried to the bed.

She settled back against the pillows while Declan disappeared into the bathroom. He came back with a glass of water and set it on the nightstand.

Declan pulled the covers up around Eden's shoulders, covering her bare breasts, and stroked her cheek. "You did well today."

"I didn't finish the food."

"No one's ever been able to finish it."

Declan leaned down and pressed a kiss to Eden's forehead. "Sleep well Eden for tomorrow night is a new adventure."