Fifty Three

May POV

Harry informed me this morning that Niall, his wife and one of his old childhood friends are coming over for dinner.

Of course I didn't say no, I like when Harry opens up about that part of his life.

I drop off files like I do every week.

Since Veronica got fired a few days ago a lot of the people at the office have been giving me stares and the cold shoulder.

And since this Harry doesn't look at me in the hallway or acknowledge me. I know it's because at work I'm not his girlfriend, I'm just another co worker, but it still sometimes gets to me. I can't help it though. I feel like he's mad at me when he ignores me or something at work. But at home he's fine.

"Here you go." I say to Mr. Mason. "All three of the manuscripts are in there as well as their summary."

"Thanks." His voice is dismissive. I bite my lip and leave his office. The last person is Harry.

I see a tall women beside him. Her heels are black and she looks professional. Her brown hair is pined into a bun and she has a smile on her lips while talking to him.

I awkwardly slide him the files for the day and afternoon meeting. "Oh, Jess this is May Evans, one of the new editors here. May, this is Ms. Johnson. She's going to be observing the office today." Her blue eyes are judging me. I know this because I'm used to this look.

"Nice to meet you." I extend my hand out to her.

"I don't shake hands with the workers." I feel my jaw tighten and I drop my hand. I look up at Harry who shrugs.

"Anyways, I'll give you a tour. Thanks for the files." I nod and they walk away.

Bitch.

Harry POV

"You really know how to greet someone." I say to Jess who chuckles.

"She'll get over it." She says casually. "So you say you're proposing to your girlfriend soon. Is this because you've settled after Lily or you actually love her?"

"I wouldn't settle for marriage." I say honestly. "And yes I love her." I say.

"Hard to believe." My eyebrow raises.

"How so?"

"I remember you telling me after the many, many, many times we've hooked up that you'd never marry." Her blue eyes look at me.

"Things change. And don't mention that at dinner." She laughs.

"If your girlfriend loves you she wouldn't care who've you slept with." I laugh.

"This is speaking of the girl who's slept with her boyfriends brother, best friend, and cousin."

A smirk goes on her lips. "I'm not ashamed to admit I had my way with guys. And you shouldn't be ashamed that you've had your way with girls."

"I am." I say. We walk into my office.

"And why's that?"

"I shouldn't be proud that I've slept with a shit tone of girls." I say obviously. "Anyways, be kind at dinner. Don't make any sexual jokes about us at the table or even bring up the fact we hooked up a few times. Oh, and don't be a bitch."

"I'm not a mean person." My eyes narrow at Jess. "Stop worrying. What's your girlfriends name?"

"May." She nods then stops. Her head tilts. "Yes the one that you blew off this morning. Great first impression."

"You didn't tell me you're fucking your worker. Or dating."

"She's not my worker. She worked here before I became an investor. That's not the point." I pause. "Be kind."

"Stop telling me to be kind Styles. We're childhood friends, and it's not everyday we see each other."

"Yes, so don't ruin the moment. Be nice to my girlfriend yes?"

"I thought you'd marry someone rich. I mean you, me, Niall, Charlie, Lily, and Liam, all grew up together because our parents are work friends. And all of our parents are rich. I just figured you'd marry someone like that. Well, I assume you would've but she died." I stare at Jess. "What? You're telling me you're not settling with May? She's pretty and all don't get me wrong. I just picture you with someone a little more up there. Like Sadie. She's a nurse for babies or something. That gets paid a lot."

"May's her sister fyi."

"Wow." Jess leans back in her chair. My hair runs through my hair. "How long have you guys been dating?"

"Since my senior year of high school." I say.

"Same girl who is kind of the mother of your child?"

"She is the mother of my daughter." I say. My voice tense. "Just because she isn't alive doesn't mean May is kind of the mother." I let out a deep breath. "Anyways, we have a meeting to attend too."

A://N

Hello

Comment ??

Vote ??

~lauren