Forty Nine

May POV {17 years ago}

It's raining badly outside. There is also a lot of thunder and lightning as well.

My father is out of town for work and my sisters are at their friends house for a sleep over. My Mom went out with her friends so I'm currently home alone.

The blankets are brought up to my chin and my eyes screw shut as the roaring sound of thunder goes through my ears.

I hear the front door slam shut and I bite my lip nervously.

I slide out of bed and turn on the hallway light. "Mom?" I call from the top of the steps.

We're getting the stairs redone with new carpet so now they're bare with nothing on them but the basic wood that was under the carpet.

I walk down the steps slowly and see my Mother at the bottom. Her balance is wobbly and her eyes don't look normal.

I've learned this in school last week. I think she's drunk. Is drunk the word? I don't know but it's a possibility.

"Why are you up? It's late." She slurs.

"I-I can't sleep." I mutter lowly. Her eyes roll.

"Come down here." She points to the last step. I hesitantly walk down to the last step.

I hear lightening and I jump a little. "You make me want to drink May." My Mother grumbles.

"Drink what?" I ask. Her eyes stare at me.

"You're really not smart are you?"

"I have all A's in school." I say.

"Are you back talking me?" Her blue eyes darken.

"No, I was just saying." I mumble.

The lights in the house flicker and my hands shake a tiny bit.

"I wish I got rid of you." She says to me.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"I wish I killed you when you were living inside of me." My eyes sting. She doesn't mean that, she's just drunk.

Her hand pushes my shoulder back a little making me stumble back.

Her breath smells bad. A headache forms and I groan. "Go back to bed." My Mother slurs. I nod. As I turn around to walk back up the hard steps I feel both her hands push me harshly making me fall face first into the stairs.

I land at the bottom of the steps where her feet are. I press my hands against my head. My eyes sting roughly.

"Stand up." Her voice commands.

"My head hurts." I cry.

"Stand the hell up!" My Moms voice is loud. I make myself stand up and tears are running down my cheeks.

The palm of her hand hits my cheek harshly making me cry harder. I drop to my knees and put my head down into my chest. My arms hold my head as I feel her start to kick me.

"You ruined everything!" I hear her shout. Her foot roughly kicks the side of my rib cage making my arms drop from my head and to my sides.

My head is pounding and I can't really think. All I can feel is the tears dripping down from my eyes to my cheeks.

Her foot steps on my wrist. The pressure of her foot stepping down on my wrist makes me cry loudly. "Stop!" I manage to say through tears.