Twenty Six

May POV

I sit across Matt and the department manager. Their hands are on the desk. Their eyes look serious.

My heart is pounding against my chest harshly.

My hands are sweaty and a headache is forming.

"Matt, me, and some of the workers here have went over the whole about signing off your rights or letting you publish the book."

"Yeah." My voice is low.

"We all agreed that it would be better if we didn't publish the book under your name."

"Is the book bad?" I ask.

"No, it's quite good. The story line is great, the characters are new, the love story is fresh as well."

"Then what's the problem?"

"We're scared no one will buy the book because you're unknown." I bite my lip. "It's safer for us to publish it under someone else's name."

This isn't the first time I haven't been good enough for something.

I don't know why it's a shocker that I didn't get picked.

"Now, we already picked an intern that's going to be here for next year. But," They slide me over a piece of paper. "We've written you a letter of recommendation."

"Are we done here?" I ask.

"Yes, but when you do release signing over your rights is better, the door is open." I don't say anything. I stand and push in my chair. "Don't forget your letter."

"Keep it." I mutter.

I walk out of the office room and let out a deep breath.

***

"How'd it go?" Harry asks me as we sit on the couch around 7. He got home around 6:30.

The TV is now lowered by my delayed response.

"What do you think happened?" I ask him.

"You're book is being published under your name." He says.

"Nope." I say. His eyebrows furrow.

"Did you get the next year slot?"

"Nope."

"What the fuck?" Harry's voice is annoyed.

"So, I'm going to have to find a new internship to apply too. Or I can become an English teacher but I'd need to go back to school to be certified as one but that requires money I don't have." I shrug. I fall back on the couch and run my hands down my face.

"You don't need to right away look for a position." Harry says while hovering over me.

"I'm not relying on you for money." I say. "Well, more then I am already." His head tilts at me.

"May, I'm okay with giving you money."

"You pay for everything Harry." I sigh. "The bills, the food, the car insurance, everything and you won't let me pay half."

"Because you'd go in debt."

"I have some money."

"Good, use that money on yourself and I'll worry about everything else."

"I don't want that."

"Want what?"

"The typical role of the girl pays nothing while her boyfriend pays everything. I'm trying to be some what independent and you won't let me." He chuckles.

Harry gently kisses me making my eyes scowl. "The bills and everything don't affect me. I make so much I don't even notice it's out of my account."

"I don't want to rely on you Harry." His head tilts. "For money." I clarify. "If we ever break up I'm screwed."

"It's a good thing I don't want to break up with you." Harry smiles softly.

"That's not the point." I murmur.

"I want you to be happy. If doing something you love will make you happy, go do it. But, when or if you do make your own money I'm still not letting you pay anything."

"Why?"

"Because that's not how I want things to go for us. I enjoy the fact that I can support you can get you nice things that you won't let me buy you." His finger tips stroke my cheeks. He gently kisses my forehead. "I don't mind that you sometimes rely on me for money. And that's because I know you're thankful. I know you love me, and I know you don't use me." His green eyes meet mine. "And for the record that publishing office is stupid for not publishing your book under your name."

I raise then lower my shoulders slightly. "I guess."

"You guess?" One of his eyebrows raises.

"The book probably could've been better." Harry lets out a deep breath.

"Then an editor should've fixed it. Don't blame yourself May. They're just a bunch of greedy assholes. What's the place called?"

"United Scholar." I say slowly. I think that's the name of the place. Harry just nods and leads down and kisses me.

"I love you May."

"I love you Harry."

A://N

I was planning on updating yesterday but I fell asleep at 7:30 haha

if this gets 50 comments i'll update again :)

~lauren