Fifty Two

May POV

I got blood work done.

I guess since now I'm older I have to get blood work done with my annual.

I return to the office after my appointment and peek my head into the office room. All of their eyes look at me and I sit down at my usual seat. There is probably only 2 minutes left since it's 10 and the morning meetings usually end around this time.

"May did you finish the manuscript?" Mr. Mason asks me.

"Yes. I'll give it to Jane." Jane checks over everything and sends it out to whomever.

"Thanks." I nod and put my hair up.

The meeting wraps up and everyone leaves. I wait for all of them to leave before I do.

"Did you get a shot?" Harry asks me. His eyes look to the cotton ball and tape on my forearm.

"No, blood work." I say.

"Okay. I'm going to be home a little later tonight. Uh, I'll pick up something on my way back?"

"Yeah sure. Do you have meetings or something?"

"Yeah." Harry sighs. "I gotta go now but do you want to meet up for lunch?"

"Yeah sure." He smiles softly.

We both go our own ways and I head to my office.

Harry POV

I sit down in Mr. Masons office and fix my suit.

"Have you made your decisions on who we should let go?" He asks me.

"I have." I say while straightening up.

He mentions some names. I suggest we get rid or move two of them into different positions and he nods.

"May?" He asks.

"I think she's doing fine." I say.

"Are you only saying that because she's your girlfriend?"

"No, if I thought she was slacking I would say it. When I walk past her office she's always doing her work and is never on her phone unless she's on her lunch break. She has no reason to be fired." I say. His eyebrow raises at me.

"Are you being honest?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask. "Just because she's my girlfriend doesn't mean I favor her over anyone in this office. We've talked about our relationship at work. What I do here or say to her is professional and not personal. I want this place to succeed. That's why I'm here. If I thought May was bringing this place down I would say something, like what I said before." I say.

"I'm still going to keep her on my radar." I sit back.

"And I'll keep Jane on mine" I say. His jaw tightens. "Next person, yes?"

May POV

It's my lunch break and my phone buzzes.

Harry: meet me out front

Me: ok

I put my phone in my pocket and grab some of my things. I see Veronica storm out of Mr. Masons office. Her face is filled with rage

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

"Ask your fucking boyfriend!" She shouts at me. I look back down the hallway and see Harry and Mr. Mason leave his office.

"Did they fire you?"

"Yep. It's probably so you can stay like you have struggles with money." She spits. I bite my lip.

"I-"

"Save it. We all know you're not at a risk for being laid off is because you're sucking his dick at home." I bite down.

She walks away and I do a few moments later.

~

I stand outside Harry's car and stare at him. "You okay?" Harry asks me. His eyebrows furrow.

"Why did you fire Veronica?" I ask.

"I can't discuss that." He says.

"Who the hell am I going to tell?" I ask.

"It isn't about that May. Why do you want to know anyways?"

"Because she was the only one at the office that talked to me really. And she thinks the only reason why I'm not fired is because I'm with you."

"Well then she's stupid. No offense but if I thought you were a shit worker I'd fire you. But you're not, so stop freaking out."

"Harry-"

"May, I'm not discussing this anymore. She got fired, you didn't. If Mr. Mason wanted to fire you he would've. I don't have total say." He tells me.

"Okay."

"Okay. Now are you ready to leave?" I roll my eyes at his comment and get into his car.

~

We decided on a diner close by. His hand rests on top of mine. "Your hand is clammy." He says.

"It's hot out. It's probably sweat."

"I have the AC on." Harry says and I bite down. He turns to the side of the road and parks the car.

"What are you doing?"

"We're going to talk because you're some how mad at me still."

"I'm not mad at you." I say. My eyes look at him.

"Then why do you look like it?" Harry asks. "Imagine being in my position, okay? Despite the fact that we signed those papers, that we said that whatever happens at work doesn't affect us at home, all of that still is hard on me.

Do you know why? It's because I love you and I have this urge to protect you when someone questions you. And I always have to be honest about how you are at work. I can't cover for you or anything. When I gave him my opinion of you I was honest. I always am. So, stop looking like you watched season 11 of Grey's so we can enjoy our lunch date."

I don't say anything. He just leans in and kisses me. He goes back to driving and I relax.

Harry POV

All I need right now is May to be angry at me in a way.

I'm planning on proposing next week and I can't have that type of stress on me. I'm proposing June 24th if everything goes good.

I know it seems like an odd day to do it and it is. I would do it in December but that's too far away and I finally have to balls to do it. Plus, we're at a good place in our relationship.

A://N

hello

comment??

vote??

ty for reading

~lauren