nightmares | stiles stilinski

stiles lay next to you, twisting and turning in his sleep, you were nearly hanging off of the edge of the bed due to all of the room he took up due to his squirming. lately it had become a reoccurring thing, he'd wake up a few moments after the squirming and sit up, you'd comfort him and he'd apologise for waking you up.

except this time he didn't wake up.

"stiles?" you reached out for him and touched his arm causing him to flinch.

he nearly jumped out of the bed at your touch, but when he opened his eyes he saw you looking worriedly at him, he got out of bed and clutched his chest, backing away from you.

"y/n... did i hurt you?" he looks afraid of himself as he backs into the corner of his bedroom.

you sit up and place your feet on the floor of the bedroom and get up, you slowly make your way over to him, "you didn't hurt me, stiles... is that what you dream about?" he had never told you what he dreamed of, you could only comfort him when he woke up.

"y-yes," he stuttered, "you're always there... lying in front of me, covered in blood... and when i look down at my hands they're dripping with blood..." tears start to pour down his cheeks as slumps to the floor, wrapping his arms around his knees.

"it's okay, stiles. i'm here now, i'm okay." you crouch down besides him but he looks up at you with tears eyes.

"it's not okay... as long as you're with me, i'll always be scared of losing you." he buries his head in his knees, ashamed.

"stiles, there's always a danger of that in beacon hills," you chuckle quietly, "but as long as i have you i know that i'm safe wherever you are."

he looks up at you with tear stained cheeks, "but i can't protect you, i'm not scott."

"i don't need scott, i need you." you place your hand on his arm, this time he doesn't flinch away.

"but what if you get hurt?" his voice sounds hoarse.

"then i get hurt, but i'll try not to." you smirk.

a small laugh erupts from his mouth, "okay... i'm sorry, y/n, i just worry about you."

"you don't think i worry about you every time you go out with scott? when you don't come home until after midnight?" you sit down next to him, he releases his knees and allows them to fall to the floor, crossed legged.

"oh... i never thought of that, y/n. i guess we're both kind of over protective, huh?" he chuckles.

"it's only because i love you." you say, reaching out to hold his hands.

he takes hold of your hands and squeezes them tightly, "i love you too, y/n."