three empty words | liam & stiles

my 100th part! and also 69k reads! thank you all so much for continually reading and voting for my chapters, it means a lot <3

***

you sighed as you sat next to your boyfriend, liam, on the bus home. your relationship started off really well and he was your first everything... but recently he had been spending  a lot of time with hayden and whenever he spent time with you he seemed distant.

you both got off of the bus and waited until it pulled away.

"y/n?" he turned towards you.

"yes?" you asked warily.

"i love you." he said as he usually did before you went separate ways to walk home.

without thinking about about your reply you blurted out, "no you don't, liam."

he looked taken aback, "what?"

"you don't love me, liam. it's been months since we've actually had a proper conversation, you never smile when you see me, you can't even look at me whenever we are together. you don't mean those three words." you say sadly.

liam was completely stunned, but he nodded, "okay... i guess i have been avoiding you, i guess it's just because i didn't want to face the truth that we weren't meant for each other."

it hurt you to hear him say those words, your feelings had faded too but you had at least tried to make it work but liam was never interested.

"well," you both still stood by the bus stop, the sky had turned grey and rain droplets had started to fall, "i guess this is the end we've both been too scared to face."

"i guess it is..." he avoided eye contact with you.

"i'm sorry, liam." you said quietly, then his head snapped towards you.

"sorry? it's not your fault y/n," he took a deep breath, "it was all me, i've been spending too much time with hayden. i let this relationship fade and it's all my fault. i'm sorry, y/n, i guess i just couldn't face telling you that i didn't love you anymore."

those final words struck you right in your heart, but you knew that it was time to let go, "i- uh, should probably go now."

liam shifted his feet awkwardly in front of you, "me too, i guess. bye y/n."

"bye, liam." you say, he turns to leave and walks off into the rain.

you look around at the empty roads and the rain pouring down all around you. you take off your jacket and hold it over your head as a makeshift umbrella as you venture into the rain.

the walk home takes longer as the rain starts falling harder and blurring your vision, you can't stop thinking about liam but you soon lose your trail of thought as you hear someone honk their horn behind you, causing you to nearly jump out of your skin.

you turn around and see a familiar powder blue jeep driving close to you, it parks up next to you and stiles leans over to open the car door.

"get in." he says.

you jump in and close the door behind you, "thanks, stiles." you say, blushing slightly.