Day 167

'After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me."

His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, "Ask him which one he means."

Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, "Lord, who is it?"

Jesus answered, "It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish." Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.

So Jesus told him, "What you are about to do, do quickly." But no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival, or to give something to the poor. As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.'

John 13:21-30

If you knew that someone was going to murder you, and you knew who that someone was, you would tell someone else, right? You would run away from the future murderer and turn everyone against him, for you wouldn't want to be killed - why would you think of doing anything else? Yet Jesus did something crazy when he was about to be crucified. He knew that Judas Iscariot was going to kill him, after all, he knew everything, he was God.

But Jesus didn't run away. Jesus didn't fight Judas. And more importantly, Jesus didn't tell anyone else. God made sure that all the other disciples thought Judas was going out to buy food or give to the poor, not betray their leader and teacher. But why? I mean, God could have easily turned all the disciples against Judas and make Judas pay for what he was going to do. It would have been justice, right? Fair and square.

But the thing is, our God is so loving, so compassionate that he didn't let any of the disciples know what Judas was doing. He didn't make Judas' life a misery. Our God loves everyone, no matter what they have done or what they will do. Jesus didn't tear Judas apart by making his friends turn on him. He let the man who would kill him, his future murderer, get away scot free. That's love. And that love God has for each one of us, love that will not break us down but build us up. He cares for us so much that no matter what, he will keep on overflowing us with his almighty grace and love and peace.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you love me. Thank you that even if I had done, or would do, something really awful, you will always care for me and keep me safe. You will always understand me, Lord, and you will always love me. Thank you that I am here today. thank you that you have given me this wonderful opportunity to know and to love you.

Amen