Day 39

'But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.'

Philippians 3:7

I got this bible verse today from someone who was praying for me, and I think it would be a good idea to explain what it was saying. When it says 'but whatever were gains to me', I think it means all that stuff that we treasured before we came to Christ. Some people may have been Christian all their life, but that still doesn't mean that they have felt God with them since the day they were born. For me, there was a period where I just knew that God was real and he lived in me. If you have had a perfect relationship with God since you were born, I guess this doesn't really apply to you, but for most people it does.

So what sort of stuff did you (or still do) treasure most? Here are a few of the things that I treasured: money, friends, that I did well at school, TV, books, etc. You might have different ideas, but those are a few of mine. But when you encounter God, he changes all that. Because when Christ comes into your life, all that stuff is worthless. God is No.1. He is more important than anything else. Jesus is the King, the Lord, the Prince of Peace, Immanuel, the Messiah, the light of the world. He totally beats everything else.

I'm not saying that you can't enjoy those things. But they should never take the place of God in your life. If you still hang on to that stuff, don't worry. Just pray to the Lord that he will show to you why he is the best. Ask him to give you the knowledge that he is No.1. And when you feel that God has taken the place of all those treasures in your life, write them down on a bit of paper, pray that he will remain the most important thing in your life, and burn them (or shred them). Then take a new piece of paper and write 'God' across it. This is just showing to God that he is number one in your life. Jesus is amazing. He will work wonders in you and for you. He is your father, your king, your teacher, your leader, your friend and your Lord. He is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. He is who he is. He is God.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you for being wonderful. Thank you for loving me. Please help me to make you No.1 in my life. Help me to live for you, as you live in me. Please help me not to get addicted to other stuff, and not focus on you. Help me to do what you want me to do. Thank you for coming into my life, and being so great that you beat all the other stuff in it.

Amen