Day 116

'So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.'

1 Corinthians 10:12-13

What sort of temptations do you have in your life? There are loads I can think of. The temptation to swear? To have sex? To do drugs or something like that? To be someone you're not? To focus on making money? To be unkind to certain people? Or the big ones, the ones about religion: To not go to Church? To disbelieve what it says in the bible? To follow an idol? To ignore what other people say about God? And the biggest of the lot: to doubt God even exists?

Well, the truth is, you're not the only one who has these temptations. Everyone shares in the temptation to do all these things. I do, your parents do, your friends do. You're not a bad Christian if you feel tempted like this. It's natural. You're not failing God. All this is 'common to mankind'. Don't think you're drawing away from God if you're being tempted. If you doubt that God is real, believe me, you're definitely not the only one. Everyone has times when they struggle.

And guess what? God gets that. He gets that you struggle with temptation. That's why he helps you. If you feel you are being tempted, call to him. He will provide a way out. No temptation is too big if you have God on your side. And if you are struggling, talk to people! Talk to your family, your friends, people you might know from church, you could even comment on this page so that anyone reading this can help you. It's good to just talk these things over, and it helps you to overcome the temptation. God gave us people to talk to.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you are a good God. Please help me, lord, when I get tempted, to trust in you. Please find a way out of the temptation for me. Help me to know that I am not the only one who feels like this. Please remind me that if I struggle, I can talk to other people about it.

Amen