Day 107

'When Mordecai left the king's presence, he was wearing royal garments of blue and white, a large crown of gold and a purple robe of fine linen. And the city of Susa held a joyous celebration. For the Jews it was a time of happiness and joy, gladness and honour. In every province and in every city to which the edict of the king came, there was joy and gladness among the Jews, with feasting and celebrating. And many people of other nationalities became Jews because fear of the Jews had seized them.'

Esther 8:15-17

This passage happens at the end of Esther's story, when the Jewish people have been saved from persecution. If you do not know the whole story, look it up. But what I wanted to talk about here was the rejoicing and celebration of the Jewish people. Because, really, it was not Esther who saved the Jews. It was God. God saved the Jewish people, like he would do again and again, and he would save them ultimately when he sent his son down to Earth.

So what's so special about the celebrating? Well, it reminds me that God wants us all to have joy in our lives as well. He loves it when we are happy! He wants us to celebrate! Celebrate the fact that we are saved! Celebrate that Jesus rose again from the dead! Celebrate the Lord! Celebrate how good he is! God doesn't want us to feel miserable and cast down. He wants us to feel truly happy. And the thing about joy is that it creates a light in someone. If you are joyful, you stand out, you shine out. And people will want to understand why life is so good for you. So let that light shine. Be full of joy. I've always imagine that when someone turns Christian, all the angels in heaven have a huge party. Just think, the angels in heaven have had a huge party just for you!

I thought I'd just add a bunch of bible verses about joy:

Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory.

For you are our glory and joy.

For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you for joy. Thank you that we can be happy, and that you want us to be happy. Please help me to become a light of joy, so that people will wonder why I am full of joy, and through that find out about you. Help me to no be downcast but to know forever that you love me.

Amen