Day 48

'So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."'

John 6:53-58

Communion is always a big thing for Christians. When I was younger, I remember always taking huge helpings of bread, and sneaking a sip of wine, because, for me then, that was all communion was. But now, there's so much more to it than that. Because if you take communion, you are basically saying that you want God in your life, and that you want to follow his teachings. You are feeding on Jesus' 'flesh' and 'blood'. Of course, it would be disgusting if you actually ate Jesus' real flesh and blood, but the bread and wine is what he used to symbolise it.

This verse says that if you are willing to live as a Christian, and that you want Jesus in your life, then you take the bread and wine and Jesus will give you eternal life. Basically, because God sent Jesus, and Jesus lives because of him, then if we 'eat' him, then we will live also. Not in a life on Earth sense, but in an eternal life in heaven with Jesus sense. That is why we take communion. Not for something to eat, but to say that you want God in your life, that you want to be a Christian and that you believe in Jesus.

So, yeah, there is kind of a big reason for communion. And if you haven't done so before, and you want to do so, then next time you take the bread and wine, tell God that you want to have him in your life. Tell him that you want to be a Christian. And if you have already told God this before, what about your friends and family? Maybe a friend of yours has decided to turn to Christ - tell them why they should take communion. If someone asks you why you take bread and wine, tell them about it! Tell them how it means you want to have God in your life, and best of all, that it means you get eternal life in heaven!

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you for communion. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share your flesh and your blood. Thank you that it means, if I accept it, eternal life with you. Please help me to share the good news with others.

Amen