Day 72

'Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.'

Ephesians 5:1-7

OK, this sounds like a strict list of don'ts. And, yeah, it kinda is. But don't let that put you off. What it's saying underneath all those rules is actually really good advice. Don't let harsh stuff like this stop you from believing that God is full of love. For God is love. That is why this stuff is in the bible! Not to make you panic and think, 'Oh, I won't to heaven, I'm doing everything wrong!' It's just plain, simple advice that God has given us to help us in times of trouble. Like a father sets boundaries, God tells us what we should and shouldn't do, not because he's a mean guy, but because he loves us.

So what kind of advice do we get from this verse? Ok, numero 1. It's not really a good idea to have sex with anyone other than the person you are married to. And yeah, that's fair. You should only really sleep with someone who you really love, not someone who you sort of think you love. Number 2. God doesn't really like it when you are greedy and are never content with what you have. Well, I wouldn't really like it either if I had given someone life, a family and wonderful talents, and yet they still weren't pleased. Thank God for what he has given you! You are the luckiest person in the world!

No.3 (it's really hard to think of different words to use instead of number. I don't even know why I'm doing it!). I wouldn't recommend saying stuff about God in a bad way. The first reason why not to do that is - GOD ISN'T BAD! There's absolutely nothing bad about God, so what's the point? Another reason why not is that it doesn't draw you any closer to God. And if you wanna get closer to God, then it's a bit stupid to draw yourself away like that. And the final reason is that it's just plain offensive. No-one would like people saying stuff that isn't true about them, so what's the difference with God?

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you are love. Thank you that you have set us instructions, not to reprimand us, but to show that you love us! Please help me to know when I truly love someone. Help me also to not be greedy, but to instead thank you for all that you've given me. Please help me not to use your name in a bad way, Lord.

Amen