Day 126

'"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."'

Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus is saying those lines to you. In that verse, he means those lines for you. He said them because he knew that you would be reading this devotional, right now, right where you are. He knows everything. So I'm gonna explain what he means. I think it's pretty self-explanatory, really, except for the bit where it talks about Jesus' yoke. Now, I know it's like two different spellings and everything, but did anyone else think of eggs and the yolk of eggs when they read that? Or was it just me? Maybe it was just me. If it was, this is awkward.

Anyway, Jesus isn't talking about eggs, whether they are fried, poached, scrambled or boiled. No, he's talking about something else. The definition of yolk is 'a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plough or cart that they are to pull.'  So when Jesus talks about the yoke, he is talking about the burden he has to pull. Now, I'm not sure, but I think that that burden is all our sins. And Jesus says that we should take his yoke upon us. That doesn't mean that we have to die for our sins, because our God is such a great God, he has already done that before.

I think that what Jesus means is that the yoke we should bear is the belief in him. For in return for believing in him, he died for us, so that we can have eternal life. Compared to Jesus' burden, our burden is very light. And you see, Jesus is calling us. He is calling us to come to him, to take his yoke and believe in him. He loves us. If you are weary and burdened, run to your father. He will pick you up and carry you. I want to say this one thing today. Go to the king who loves you. Run into his open arms, like the son who had sinned into his father's outstretched arms. God is calling you. He loves you. Jesus loves you. Go to him.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you for being my father. Thank you that you love me. Thank you that you are king. Thank you that you are worthy of my praise. Thank you that you died for us, so that the only burden we have to bear is to believe in you, which isn't really a burden, it's a way of showing you that we love you. I love you Jesus. I love you.

Amen