Chapter 1

Hwang Residence

"Get back here you little shits!" Yelled Mr. Hwang in another one of his drunken fits.

It was just another day in the lives of Hwang Hyunjin and his younger brother Jisung. "Let's go Ji!" Hyunjin said quickly locking the door of their house to get away from their father.

Normally they would be asleep by the time their father would get back from work. Unfortunately tonight was his off night. Which meant he would get drunk and go off on the boys for even the smallest reason. The boys hated those days.

"Come on!" said Hyunjin "We're going over to Changbin's!" Seo Changbin, Hyunjin and Jisung's best friend since grade school. They knew they could always crash there when things got bad at home. And oh yes, they were bad tonight.

The 2 brothers quickly caught the public bus just in the nick of time since it was the last bus of the night and its final stop was right by Changbin's apartment complex.

The 2 got on the bus and finally gave out a sigh of relief. "I hate it when he gets like that." said Jisung. "I know Ji" said Hyunjin "I know. But at least we got out before things escalated."

"Yeah" Jisung gulped. He'd remember days when their father would beat them up over nothing. Well, beat Hyunjin, since he always shielded Jisung from his father's wrath. He still couldn't understand why their father hated them so much. They never did anything wrong. They worked hard, so why?

Jisung would sometimes cry himself to sleep because he couldn't figure it out. On one such night Hyunjin went into Jisung's room to check on him and saw the younger crying. It broke his heart seeing him like that. So he hopped in his bed hugged him to calm him down. It worked, and he decided to stay the night in his room holding him tight, wanting to comfort him, to protect him.

Jisung decided to lay his head on Hyunjin's shoulder and go to sleep. The older one smiled as they rode through the night, not waking him up until the bus got to the last stop of the night.

"Wake up Jisung" said Hyunjin "We're here." Jisung yawned and stretched as they got off the bus and started to head over to Changbin's.

They lost count of how many times they've crashed at Changbin's because of their father. One time he came banging on Changbin's door but he refused to let him. He only left when the cops were called and had to escort him out. Changbin never liked their father.

Hyunjin and Jisung knew they could always rely on Changbin, even though they knew he lived in a small apartment room, plus he shared it with someone else, Yang Jeongin, another good friend of the brothers. In the beginning they opted to sleep on the floor but Changbin wouldn't allow it. So he bought a couple of air mattresses for the 2 to sleep on. He really was a good friend.

"Considering how often we crash over at his place, you'd think we'd move in by now" Jisung chuckled.

"As much as I love the sound that Ji, you know we can't" said Hyunjin. "I mean, he barely has enough room with Jeongin. Besides I don't think his landlady would be too happy with 4 people living in that tiny-ass apartment."

"So?" said Jisung "I would rather us live all cramped up then having to spend another moment with, him." Him being their father of course.

Hyunjin couldn't deny that was a good idea, but an impossible one, unfortunately. "Look let's just get to Changbin's quick" he said "It's getting cold. We barely had time to get our jackets on."

"Ok" said Jisung. The 2 boys picked up the pace, even Hyunjin put his arm around his brother to keep him warm as they made their way to Changbin's.