No Rest for the Spider ~ Natasha Romanoff

request: No Reader, Natasha gets very, very and needs to stay on bed rest but she keeps trying to escape

Ghhhgb12

warnings: sickness, mentions of vomit and blood, needles, language, and terrorism?

words: 4356

~~~~~~

The ER in Upper Manhattan was relatively empty considering it was an ER in a busy city. It was quiet, the few patients they had were all stable and just resting for minor injuries that we were in the process of being treated.

The nurses not assigned to patients waited bored at the reception desk or in the break room having a coffee or a snack. The hands on the clock, ticked, ticked, ticked; the phone rarely rang for anything exciting. It was eerie for a Manhattan Emergency Room.

The lead nurse, Luisa Juarez, scribbled on patient forms and files while a tall, young man shuffled his way into the ER. He sniffed and hacked up violent coughs, the mask he wore over his nose and mouth did very little justice. He stumbled around disoriented and all-over. He bumped into carts with the portable vital readers and lean desperately on the white wall.

Luisa looked from her paper and furrowed his dark brows at the man. "Hello, sir, are you okay?" she said and stood from her seat. He looked up at her and she gasped, his eyes were red and bloodshot, blood leaking from his under eyes. He coughed and slowly lost consciousness. Luisa rushed over as the man fell to the floor. Two other nurses heard the commotion and rushed to help.

They situated him onto a spine board while the triage nurse began to take vitals and prepared the man for the physician to see. After they moved him to a bed, the attending physician and their PA, rushed over and began to examine him. The PA followed the doctor's orders exactly. Ordering medications and tests that need to be taken.

The roused from his unconscious state and looked around. The doctor tried to make conversation. "Hello, I am Dr. Adio Campbell, wanna' tell me what happened? Have you traveled at all for the past 21 days? How long have you been feeling sick?" he asks and the man sits up and then leans over the bed and vomits blood with a coffee ground resemblance. Then goes back into unconsciousness a second after.

The nurses changed him into a hospital gown and took off his mask, which was covered in blood and vomit. They took him to a quarantine room and began to isolate him for the safety of the other patient until they could figure out what was his diagnosis.

Fainting, blood coming from his eyes, fever, cough, low blood pressure. The doctor pondered on his symptoms and would discuss them with his colleagues and flip through a few medical books. Dr. Campbell rubbed his face as he flipped through a book about rodent-borne illnesses.

He had nothing to work with. The man's name was Tony Gallucci, both of his parents have passed, no grandparents, no siblings, and no aunts or uncles that he was in contact with. He only knows this because the nurse took a look at his license in his wallet while changing him into a gown. She then looked up his medical file. Dr. Campbell doesn't know where Tony has been or what he was in contact with. It was just a guessing game now.

Campbell was flipping through aimlessly when a virus caught his attention. Lassa Virus. Transmissible through coming into contact with infected rat urine or feces. The symptoms matched up. He stood up and shut his book. He pulled his coat back on and was on his way to start treating the symptoms.

"CODE BLUE. CODE BLUE IN QR3. CODE BLUE. CODE BLUE IN QR3."

Dr. Adio Campbell's heart plummeted when he heard the alarm come from his pager. He ran the stairs that led to Quarantine Room 3. He saw the nurses giving chest compressions and giving anticonvulsants via the IV.