Neglected to Loved

Another statehumans request :D

By 

TW: Abuse mentioned - Wars - Death (Obviously) - Neglect - Starvation

Sorry, this took so long. ;p;

School is a bitch but now It's break for me! :>

Look out for yourself! I wake up to the sounds of the silence that allows
For my mind to run around, with my ear up to the ground
I'm searching to behold the stories that are told
When my back is to the world that was smiling when I turned

Sometimes Texas would look back on the past.

It wasn't all that often, but he would think about it. Sometimes he'd wonder what it would be like if he stayed with Mexico. What if he hadn't had such a big rivalry with Oklahoma, that damned bastard. His mind would guide him through fake scenarios of an easier life for him and his fellow states. What if he and California got along? You never know what could be on his mind.

But there was one state his mind could never mend relations with, no matter how hard he tried. 

No. It wasn't  Oklahoma. Surprise! It was New Mexico!

He only realized the significant influence he played on her and her history after the several wars and battles that occurred on her soil—most of which he caused. Texas felt guilty about it now, of course, but maybe. If they had been treated better when they were younger, he would have known better. 

But you, my lovely reader, probably have no idea what the past was like for any former Mexican territory. And that's why I'm here to inform you, so don't you worry! :D

Let's start with the "New Spain" days. 

Tell you you're the greatest
But once you turn, they hate us

Oh, the misery

Everybody wants to be my enemy

Spare the sympathy

Everybody wants to be my enemy-y-y-y-y
(Look out for yourself)
My enemy-y-y-y-y (Look, look, look, look)
(Look out for yourself)
But I'm ready

Tejas had noticed New Spain, his father, and Spain, his grandmother, arguing more recently. The little territory didn't know why. But he heard from Mexico City that his dad wanted something called independence.

What did that mean? He had no clue, but it did sound interesting.

Would that mean Spain wouldn't bother them anymore?

God, he hoped so. Tejas hated his grandmother, like many of his siblings. She was abusive and would always beat them or just ignore them. It was weird. Mostly because of her mood never remaining consistent.

One day she could be ignoring them, the next she could be yelling and screaming over the smallest mistake. Like not picking up one item after cleaning your room. Or your desk was a bit too dusty for her liking even if you already dusted it.

Everything seemed to make her mad. Especially now.

He sat by his window watching Mexico (he told him and his siblings to start calling him that whenever Spain was around for some reason) scream profanities at his mother before he stormed off into the house, Spain still hot on his tail. Tejas sighed. Mexico wasn't that much better, or at least that's what he thought.

Mexico never seemed to like him that much, he adored New Mexico. She was like his tiny angel. He never beat her at all and treated her like a princess, with a few other territories.