#187: JAKE BEAN - #24 CHARLOTTE CHECKERS

The world must have a vendetta against Jake and me. I was supposed to go over to Buffalo with him to watch him play on team Canada at the world juniors and then my father got sick the day I was leaving for Buffalo, I wasn't able to go watch Jake play for team Canada like I had promised him. Jake was very understanding and promised that when he came back to Calgary, we'd go out to celebrate our missed Christmas and New Year's together. I hated not being able to see him and then he won gold after last year's horrible defeat to America. I wanted to be with him so desperately to celebrate his win, but I was in Calgary and he was on the east coast in Buffalo.

I was there at the airport to welcome him home bright and early when his plane landed back in Calgary. When I saw his giant grin and sparkling blue eyes, I couldn't believe how much I has missed him while he had been away. I was so excited to see him back home and ready to watch him play for the Hitmen again, but little did Jake and I know that things were going to change for us and change for the worse.

"I could cry right now." I mutter against Jake's chest. Jake chuckles from above me and holds me tighter in his arms. The movie scene is a sad one and soon my eyes start to water with tears, I let out a shaky breath and Jake moves me out of his hold to look at me straight on.

"Are you crying, love?" He asks softly and I shrug my shoulders, I can't admit it to him or I will start crying even more. He smiles softly and uses his thumbs to wipe away the tears that roll down my cheeks, he cups my cheeks with his large hands and presses his lips against my forehead when he's finished.

"I'm glad the Hitmen gave you time off, I don't think I could have taken it if you went straight to join them on their road trip. I missed you so much." I sigh and lean onto Jake's shoulder. He wraps his arm over my shoulder again and uses his free hand to grasp my hand, he stares at our hands as he plays with my fingers.

"It was weird. They did say that they wanted me to join them after I finished at the juniors and then I get a call the day before the gold medal game telling me to head home, they don't come back till the sixteenth so maybe they are giving me time off, I don't know." Jake tells intertwining our fingers together. I love the feeling of his fingers against mine.

"Well, I'm glad you're home for a while." I smile and lean up to press my lips against Jake's lips. He smiles into our kiss and flips us over so he is above me, I giggle when he lies on top of me and places his hands on my waist.

"So am I." Jake says before kissing me again, I smile widely and kiss him back. Our make out session only lasts for a few seconds before Jake's phone starts ringing, he groans deeply and buries his face into my neck. I guess he didn't want to be interrupted, I didn't want to be interrupted by anyone as I spend time with my boyfriend who I haven't seen in a long time.

"I don't want to answer it." He mumbles into my neck, he puckers his lips against my skin when he's finished speaking and kisses my neck to finish what he started. I sigh and reach into his pocket for him, I pull his phone out and freeze when I see who is calling him at this time of the night. This is serious, they would never call at this time unless it was serious. Please don't let it be what I am thinking...

"Jake, you better answer that." I say seriously and tap his shoulder to make him stop. He moves out of my neck and takes his phone into his hand, he looks at it and then to me with worry in his eyes.

"I'll leave you alone." I tell and leave the living room before he can say no. I walk into my bedroom and sit down on my bed, my knee bounces uncontrollably as worry fills every inch of my bones. Why would they call him at this time of the night? It's almost ten at night and they never call this late unless it is serious, this must be important.

I sit in my worried state for almost thirty minutes before Jake walks into my room, his face is distraught and I see his body just screams out defeat. No, please don't be what I think it is. Please...