#41: RYAN MCDONAGH - #27 TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING: PART ONE

Everyone's worst fear is loosing the person they love the most, whether that be a family member, a friend, or someone who they admire.

So when Ryan told me that he was going to propose to his girlfriend of two years, I knew then that I had lost my friend for good. Not because his girlfriend would steal him and make him never see me again, it's because I love him and I can't face up to him and tell him that.

Unfortunately everyone but Ryan knows that I love him. The whole team knows that I love him, I think that his girlfriend knows that I love him, and I still haven't told him after being friends for over four years. And now that he is getting married, I've lost my chance to tell him in person. So I wrote him a note telling him how I feel about him and I will hand it to him the day of his wedding, and I will leave New York and never look back on what could have been.

And so this is where I find myself, standing outside the door to Ryan's hotel room on the day of the wedding with the note in my had. I shakily brought my hand up to the door and knocked it.

"Hey Y/N." Derick smiled at me when he opened the door.

"Hey Brassy." I said returning the smile.

"Are you here to see the groom?" He asked opening the door wider for me to walk in.

"Yeah, is he in here?" I wondered looking down at my feet.

"Yo Ry, you've got a visitor." Derick shouted turning his head to shout into the room to Ryan.

"Who is it?" Ryan shouted back, his voice like music to my ears.

"Why it's your beautiful, amazing, wonderful, out of this world best friend." Derick sang opening the door to let me look in. Ryan stood in the corner of the room fixing himself in the mirror, he looked at me through the mirror and smiled widely.

"Y/N." Ryan smiled turning around and walked towards me, my heart speeding up seeing him in his tux and seeing him look absolutely handsome as always.

"For the groom." I chuckled handing him in the letter I wrote him.

"What is it?" He asked taking it into his hands and looked down at it.

"Just a little something for you." I said giving a little shrug.

"Can I read it?" Ryan asked looking up to me.

"Better read it when I leave." I told looking to the envelope in his hands. In it contains my feelings for him, everything that I feel for him I wrote down onto a piece of paper. It is easier than saying it face to face.

"OK." He said skeptically raising an eyebrow at me.

"I'll leave you alone, I know you still have to get ready." I chuckled pointing to Ryan's pants and shoes that lay on the bed.

"Yeah." He half laughed, I too laughed a little before leaving the room.

Ryan's PoV:

"What does it say?" Derick asked walking over to me as I stared at the note from Y/N in my hands. Y/N had just left whenever Derick came up to me, both our gazes on the envelope that she handed me.

"I don't know." I said looking up at Derick, his eyes roamed over the envelope before looking back up to me.

"You should read." He said shrugging and walked off to finish getting ready. I took a deep breath before opening the envelope, inside is a letter folder up. I lifted the letter out and unfolded it, my eyes skimming over the words that Y/N wrote.

I love you.

My eyes widened at the words she wrote, my heart feeling something for that is more than friends. A feeling that I've felt for a long time but suppressed it when I started dating in hopes that my feelings for her would disappear. But as I know now, they never left and my feelings for Y/N are as strong as they were when we first met.

"Derick." I shouted walking towards him, my eyes keep running over the words that Y/N wrote.

"What?" He shouted back, peaking his head out of the bathroom.

"Y/N loves me." I whispered my attention still on the piece of paper in my hands.

"About damn time you knew about." Derick said going back into the bathroom.

"Wait what?" I asked walking into the bathroom, my attention know on Derick.

"Yeah dude, Y/N has been in love with you since day one." He told turning to face me.

"How long have you known?"

"About three years, she told me the year after we all became friends."

"And you didn't bother to tell me?"

"I didn't want to ruin your friendship with her."

"Ruin our friendship? Man, I'm in love with her. I have been since I laid eyes on her at our game the night we won." I sighed rubbing my eyes with forefinger and thumb.

"I know." Derick said.

"You knew?"

"Come on man, you can't hide anything from me. I know you love her and I know she loves you, and I know you two have missed your window at a chance of being together, but you have to tell Y/N so she can move on and find someone else." Derick told laying a firm hand on my shoulder, I sighed and nodded agreeing with his words.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I have to tell her, I have to tell her that I love her and I want her to be the one I'm marrying today."