#166 - Tom Wilson - #43 Washington Capitals

A/N: Please read the author's note at the end.

Tom Walker's new song played softly over the car radio as I drive along the motorway to my parents house for dinner. Tom sits beside me in the passenger seat, his knee bouncing on and off, his hands fiddling together, and he keeps unbuttoning the top button on his shirt and the re-buttoning it. I glanced over at the Toronto native every so often to see his face pale and his breathing shaky, who knew the tough NHL enforcer could get nervous? 

Tom caught my gaze when we pulled up to a set of red lights, he offered me a sheepish smile and went back to his nervous state. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him, he is after all meeting my parents for the first time.

Being together for almost a year and a half and Tom has yet to meet my parents, when my parents found out that we're spending some time in Edmonton they just had to have us over. So now I find myself along with Tom in my car, traveling to my parents house for a meal.

"OK, maybe this shirt was a bad idea, I can hardly breath." Tom groaned unbuttoning his top button again. I chuckled as it is the tenth time tonight in the space of 15 minutes he has done it, Tom looked down at his outfit and gave a pitiful sigh. 

"What's wrong?" I asked glancing at him from the corner of my eyes.

"If I wear the top button undone, I look a mess. But if I wear it buttoned up, I can't breath. I don't want to look a mess in front of your parents." Tom told straightening up, his hands rubbing on his pants as I drove off the motorway and into the residential areas.

"Tom, you look fine. And besides, my parents couldn't care less if you showed up in a pair of sweats, they won't love you any less because you didn't wear anything fancy." I said laying a hand on Tom's shoulder as I slowed down and turned the corner. 

"But, I'm meeting your parents for the first time. I have to look decent enough for them to allow me to continue to date you." Tom said softly looking at me with sad eyes.

"Oh, babe." I chuckled shaking my head at Tom. "My parents already love you as a son, you're part of this family already, no backing out now."

"But,"

"No buts." I told pulling into my parents street. Tom jumped in his seat and sat with his back straight, his knee bouncing once again, and his face soon got pale again. I felt sorry for him, I was the same when I met his parents and everything went perfect that night, I had no idea what I was so nervous about when meeting his family.

"Did I bring the flowers?" Tom asked out of no where, his sudden announcement making me jump in my seat. I pulled into my parents driveway and turned the car off, I moved around in my seat to face the nervous wreck of a male beside me. I took his hands into mine and rested them against his lap. 

"You need to calm down, you're getting too nervous over nothing. You're going to be fine, Tom." I said softly looking at him with a sincere look. Tom gave a reluctant nod and released my hand, he jumped out of the car and ran around to my side of the car and opened the door. He held his hand out for me and I took it, stepping out of the car Tom held my hand and grabbed the flowers for my mother from the back seats.

"Now, are you ready? Or do I have to drag you in here?" I chuckled moving forward to my parents front door. Tom dragged his feet, but followed me. I waited until Tom had finished fixing himself and then knocked on the door, I stood back and held Tom's hand in mine and to calm him down I rubbed my thumb against the small part on his hand. He gave a slight smile in my direction, but that soon disappeared when my father opened the door.

"Ah, Y/N. How lovely to see you again, my dear." My father beamed gesturing for me to come further. I let go off Tom's hand and moved forward, my arms wrapping around my father and gave him a large embrace.