Secrets

A/N: I'm sort of in a sad Leorio mood. Sorry y'all🤪

TW: pills, mentions of starvation

Kurapika knocked on the bathroom door. "Leorio," he said. "Are you done in there?" Leorio's voice came from the bathroom, "Just a second!" "What's taking you so long?" "I'm... getting dressed." Kurapika sighed. "Then why won't you let me in?" he asked. "It's not like I haven't seen you naked before." There was silence. "Because we're not having sex?" Leorio replied. Kurapika rolled his eyes. "Okay," he said. "I'm coming in."

Kurapika opened the door. Leorio wasn't undressed, he was completely dressed for work. On the sink next to him were a bunch of pills. He looked at Kurapika and smiled. Acting as if nothing happened he shoved all the pills in his case and popped the ones in his hand into his mouth. He walked up to Kurapika and kissed his forehead. "Goodbye, sweetie," he said before walking out the door. Kurapika followed Leorio with his eyes. "Leorio-" he started but he was too late, Leorio was already out the door.

Kurapika sighed and turned back to the bathroom. He walked towards the sink,  where the pills lay. He was puzzled. The only pills he'd ever seen Leorio take was the occasional headache medicine. And that was just the recommended amount, so no problems. But what Leorio just had... that was definitely not the recommended amount.

Kurapika sighed and closed the door. He'd ask Leorio about it later.

********

"Our patient is twenty-six," Dr. Miller read. "His symptoms include headaches, dizziness, difficulty seeing, and difficulty speaking, he also claims his limbs, specifically arms and legs have been weak. He decided to come to the hospital when he stepped on a nail and didn't notice it until his wife said something. That adds an infection to treatment. And that concludes the file."

Leorio tapped his fingers against the table. "Get an MRI," he said. "Could be a brain tumor." Dr. Kinen shrugged. "Or it could be a thyroid condition," she suggested. Leorio glanced at her, "I said get an MRI. Please go do that." Kinen nodded and stood to walk out of the room.

Staying behind, Dr. Miller and Dr. Reynolds exchanged glances. "You seem upset today Paladiknight," Dr. Reynolds said. "You having boyfriend troubles?" Leorio looked up at him. "No," he replied. "But he's my fiancé now." Dr. Miller smiled. "That's great man," he said. "But changing the subject. Reynolds and I are going to get some lunch. Wanna come with?"

Leorio shook his head. "No," he replied. "I ate at home." Dr. Reynolds nodded. "Okay," he said. "How about grabbing a drink with us  after work?" Leorio smiled. "I guess I could," he said. "If Kurapika lets me leave the house." They both smiled and left the room.

Leorio sighed and buried his face in his hands. Kurapika almost caught him this morning, if not he almost caught him. It stressed Leorio out. He didn't want Kurapika to worry. Not more than he should.

Leorio stood and walked down to the pharmacy. "Hey, Lewis," he said to the man at the desk. "Can I have a refill on pain-killers? And headache medicine? I ran out." Lewis looked up from his clipboard. "I gave you a refill three days ago," he said. Leorio pursed his lips. "Well," he replied. "I ran out." Lewis sighed and set down the clipboard. "No one goes through pills that fast," he said. "And we can't have a drug addict as a doctor. Have you ever watched House?"

Leorio pushed the bottles closer. "I share them with my fiancé, alright," he yelled a little too loud. "Please just get me more." He rubbed his forehead. "I need them." Lewis took the containers and filled them back up. He set them back on the counter. "No more for two more weeks," he said. "Got that?" 

Leorio smiled, picking up the containers. "Thank you, sir," he said. "And I completely understand these conditions." He stuffed the now full containers in his pockets and walked down the hall. He walked back into his office.

"Paladiknight," Dr. Kinen said. "You were right, brain tumor." Leorio chuckled. "I've never heard someone sound so excited while saying that," he said as he sat down. "Did you tell the patient?" Dr. Kinen nodded. "I did," she said. "He chose to do chemotherapy. Starting next week." Leorio nodded. "Okay," he said. "That's- that's good." "Are you okay Paladiknight," Dr. Miller asked. Leorio nodded. "Um yeah," he said. "Just a bit dizzy. I'll be fine."

********

"Leorio," Kurapika said. He stormed towards him. "What the hell?" Leorio looked confused. "What is it," he asked. "You know what? Before you start talking, can I sit down? I feel like I could faint at any second now." Kurapika took a deep breath. "Yes, you may," he said. "You need to!" Leorio sat on the couch and Kurapika started yelling.

"Are you kidding me," he yelled. "Pills? You've been going through two bottles of pills in three days! And I looked at what you've been buying with the card account! There is not ONE MEAL from your job! You told me you were eating there and not at home! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?" Kurapika was crying now. "YOU ALWAYS TELL ME TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF," he yelled. "BUT NOW LOOK AT WHAT YOU'RE DOING!"

Leorio was silent as Kurapika yelled at him. "Kurapika," he said. "I'm sorry. We've been short on money lately. And I wanted you to eat. I also knew that you'd be happier if Max could eat. So I spent the money to get enough food for you and Max."

Tears ran down Kurapika's face. "Leorio," he said in a soft voice. "Let me see your stomach." "Kurapika-" "Leorio, now." Leorio stood and hesitantly lifted his shirt. Kurapika covered his mouth with his hand. "You're so... thin," he choked. "Leorio... how long has this been going on?" Leorio pulled his shirt down. "About two months," he replied. "But it's okay, I'm used to it. I've gone longer with little food."

Kurapika took a shaky breath. "What has kept you going?" Leorio bit his lip, "About once a week I eat an apple and trail mix. Surprisingly, it's enough. And I've only fainted twice this week." Kurapika sighed. "Sit back down," he said. "And tell your team you can't go out tonight." Leorio stumbled as he sat down. "Why?" Kurapika crossed his arms. "Because I'm going to cook for you," he said. "Abd take tomorrow off. I'm cooking for you then too."

Leorio smiled at Kurapika. Kurapika cared about him, he cared a lot. And Leorio loved him. Besides he was hungry anyway.