Waiting

Kurapika walked to the back door and opened it. There was his puppy, Max, running around playfully. Thank god they had a fence back there or he might've run away. Kurapika smiled and squatted down. "Come here, puppy," he said. "Come on Max." Max ran towards him. "Good boy! Yes, you are!" He picked up the puppy and brought him inside to get him a treat.

Leorio was on the couch writing something for work. He always worked. He needed a break. Kurapika set Max on the ground and sat beside Leorio. "Hey," he said. "You look stressed." Leorio looked up at him and smiled. "I'm fine," he said. "No need to be worried." Kurapika frowned there was nothing he could do to make him stop working. "Can I get you anything," he asked.

Leorio shook his head. "As I said," he replied. "I'm fine." Kurapika kissed his cheek. "I'll get you something anyway," he said. "How about some wine? As I said, you look stressed." Leorio sighed. "Fine," he replied. "Wine would be nice." Kurapika smiled and stood.

Kurapika opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of wine. He took two wine glasses out of the cupboard and filled them both. He brought one over to Leorio, setting it on the coffee table. He took a sip of his own glass and watched Leorio write. He wrote very quickly and very neatly.

Kurapika smiled. Leorio was so handsome. And kind. His dream guy.

Leorio sighed and closed his notebook. He'd had enough of this. He stood and grabbed his coat. Slipping it on he looked at Kurapika, "I'm leaving." Kurapika looked up with his brows furrowed. "Where are you going?" he asked. Leorio softly smiled. "Don't worry about it," he replied. "I'll be back soon." Kurapika frowned. "Please do," he said. "It's starting to get dark early. I don't want you to drive in the dark. You might crash." 

Leorio leaned down to kiss his forehead. "I said don't worry," he repeated. "I'll be fine. I didn't drink that much." Kurapika crossed his arms, "You didn't drink at all." Leorio opened the door. "I love you, Pika," he said as he shut it behind him. "I love you too," Kurapika mumbled after he left.

Kurapika walked over to the yipping Max and lifted him. "I know, I know," he said to him. "I'm worried about him too." He went over and sat on the couch. He picked up the wine glass and spun it around. The wine sloshed in the glass. He took a sip of the wine and turned on the tv.

Kurapika lied on the couch watching a random movie. How long had Leorio been gone? He left around three and now it was... Kurapika picked up his phone to check the time. It was seven now. Kurapika swallowed. Where was he?

Kurapika set his phone down and continued to watch the movie. He shouldn't worry so much. He called Max over on his lap. At least he would stay there long enough. The puppy happily climbed into Kurapika's lap, wagging his tail. Another hour passed, then two. Kurapika was starting to worry.

Leorio was never gone this long. What was he doing? If he was gone this long he would at least text Kurapika an explanation. It worried him. Maybe he should text him. Kurapika picked up his phone again. He clicked on Leorio's contact to call him. No answer.

Kurapika began to panic. Leorio would call or text. What if something happened? What if Leorio wasn't okay? Would Kurapika know? He sat on the couch, trying to control his breathing. Max ran up to him and jumped on his lap. He began to lick Kurapika's face. Kurapika just pushed him away.

Kurapika managed to control his breathing and grabbed Max. "I'm sorry," he said to the puppy. "I was just panicking." He kissed the dog's head and laughed when he got licked again. "That's gross."

A few minutes later the door opened. Leorio was back. Kurapika stood and walked towards him. "Where were you," he demanded. Leorio was worried by Kurapika's tone, he seemed angry. "I-" "Leorio, it's been hours," Kurapika cut him off. "I've been sitting here worried sick! You didn't even text me!"

Leorio sighed. "I know," he replied. "And I'm sorry. But I also got you a gift." He pulled a pair of earrings from his bag and handed them to Kurapika. They were pretty, silver and blue but, "They're cheap." Kurapika looked up at Leorio. "I know you didn't spend six hours to get me a pair of fifteen-dollar earrings." Leorio sighed again. "I also got you this," he replied pulling a stuffed bear from the same bag.

Kurapika took the bear and examined it. "Leorio," he started. "This was five dollars." Leorio put a hand on the back of his neck. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm just trying to save some money. That's why I've been working a lot lately." Kurapika laughed. "Yeah," he said. "You have been." Leorio frowned. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Kurapika looked up at Leorio, tears in his eyes. "You've just been working so much lately," he whined. "It's almost like you have no time for me!" The look in Leorio's eyes softened. "Of course I have time for you," he replied. "I've been working more to save money for us. It's not just for me." He cupped Kurapika's cheek in his hand. "I love you, Kurapika," he said. "And don't ever think don't." Using his thumb, he wiped tears from Kurapika's face.

Kurapika smiled. "R-really," he asked. Leorio nodded. And to prove it, kissed Kurapika. It was a bit of a long kiss, but full of love. "Tomorrow," Leorio said after he pulled away. "We can go on a date. Not a cheap one but not that expensive either. Will that prove how much time I have for you?"

Kurapika nodded then smiled. "Yes," he said. "But.. is there any way you could prove it now?" Leorio smirked. "If you want me to," he replied. "Just don't forget that I love you with all my heart. You go on and wait for me. I'll be there in a second." Kurapika smiled and walked down the hall into their room.

Leorio sighed once Kurapika left. What he said was true. He was trying to save money. But he didn't have to work as much now that he bought what he wanted. He spent hours at several different stores, trying to pick the perfect one. He took off his coat and smiled. Thank god Kurapika didn't realize he had something in his pocket. That would ruin everything.

Leorio hung up his coat on the coat rack. He was proud of himself. He realized he shouldn't be scared. Today, he had bought the ring.