Midnight

It was around midnight about 12:17 when Kurapika awoke. He turned over on his side, laying one arm out. It hit nothing. Kurapika found this odd as he had fallen asleep with Leorio at his side. He sat up and turned on the lamp. Leorio, of course, was not in bed next to him. He sighed and crawled out of bed. Where could Leorio be?

Kurapika walked down the stairs. As he reached the bottom step, he could see a faint light from the kitchen. "Leorio," he said. Sure enough, his husband was in the kitchen. He was sitting at the barstool table with a bag of Cheetos. "Hey, Sunshine," he said, once he noticed Kurapika.

Kurapika walked over and sighed. "Leorio it's midnight," he said. "And you have a job interview tomorrow." Leorio shrugged popping another chip in his mouth. "I know," he said. "Its the reason I'm up. Couldn't sleep. Anxiety got too bad." "Leorio you need sleep. It'll help." Leorio laughed. "Aha, nope," he replied. "I've tried. If anything it makes it worse. And I hate when my anxiety gets bad. Like really bad." "What happens when your anxiety gets bad Leorio?" Leorio seemed to glare at Kurapika but didn't answer. All he did was grumble a response.

Kurapika sat down next to him. "Leorio," he said. "I would like an answer." Leorio stayed silent. "Leorio..." "Kurapika," Leorio mocked. "No. If I don't want to answer, I don't have to." Kurapika placed his hand on top of Leorio's. "Leorio," he said in a caring voice. "We're married. You can talk to me about anything. I'll still love you. 'Today and always' remember?" "Are you using my own wedding vows against me," Leorio asked. Kurapika smiled at him, earning himself a chuckle.

Leorio took a deep breath. "Okay," he said. "When my anxiety gets bad, sometimes I might- well I will- god, how do I say this?" He buried his face in his hands. Removing his hands, he took another deep breath. "I get tics," he said. Very quickly too. Kurapika tilted his head. "Tics," he questioned. Leorio gave him a mild look of shock, "You seriously don't know what they are?" Kurapika shook his head. Leorio sighed. "Wow. I kind of expected you to. Because you're smart and all. Not saying you're any less smart because you don't know.

"Well, a tic is um. An involuntary movement or noise. Basically something a person can't control. It could be anything from the sudden jerk of a hand to saying a word or words at random. Some people might snap their fingers, clap, or even hit things. And like I said, it can be sudden. They usually don't hurt but sometimes they can cause pain or harm. I only get tics when I have bad anxiety or an anxiety attack. Other people, people who have Tourette's Syndrome, get them all the time. Do you understand now?"

Kurapika slowly nodded. "I believe so," he said. "Why didn't you tell me before?" Leorio shrugged. "I guess it's because I'm embarrassed by them," he answered. Kurapika again, looked confused. "Why would you be embarrassed by something you literally can't control?" Leorio smiled. "I don't know, Sunshine," he said. "But I think you're right. We should head back to bed." "Good. Because I'm tired."