Baby Fever

Leorio grabbed the box of soaps off of the shelf. He held them up, "Kurapika, do we need these?" There was no answer and Leorio turned his head. Kurapika wasn't on his left. Or on his right. He did hear him laugh, though, so he turned the corner.

As he thought, Kurapika was there. He was talking to a woman and playing with her baby. He looked up at the woman said something and smiled. The woman smiled back.

"Kurapika," Leorio said. His husband looked up at him and waved him over. When Leorio walked over he was greeted with a grin and kiss on the cheek. 

"Hello, dear," Kurapika said. "I'm sorry for running from you." 

Leorio rolled his eyes. "C'mon, Sunshine," he said. "Let's go. This woman looks like she already has enough to deal with." He gestured towards the woman who was trying to stop a young boy from climbing the shelves. She wrapped her arm around the boy's waist and smiled at Kurapika.

"Oh," she said. "Is this your husband? You look so good together. You'd have the most adorable kids." 

Kurapika leaned down and the baby grabbed his finger. "Not as cute as yours," he said with a laugh. "I just love kids."

Leorio sighed. "Look, sunshine," he said. "I know you want kids but that's impossible. Let's just go home okay? We don't need any of this stuff." 

Kurapika frowned and stood. He turned to Leorio, "Do you have paper? And a pen?" Leorio shook his head but the woman dug through her purse.

She handed Kurapika a notepad and pencil. Kurapika smiled and thanked her before he wrote. When he was done he didn't rip out the paper. Instead, he closed the notepad and handed it back. "I put my number in there," he said. "Call me if you ever need a babysitter." 

The woman put her hand to her heart. "Bless you," she said.

********

Kurapika sat in the passenger seat. His chin was in his hand and he was looking out the window. It was obvious that he was upset. Leorio didn't say anything until he heard Kurapika sniff. Was he crying?

"What's wrong Sunshine," Leorio asked. "Are you crying?" 

Kurapika turned, crying. "I'm upset," he said. "You're the worst! We have this great opportunity and you just want to pass it up?" 

"Kurapika-" 

"No! Don't even talk! I hate you! Did you hear that? I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" Every time he repeated the phrase he pounded his fists against Leorio.

"Kurapika," Leorio said. "Kurapika- stop! I'm driving! Stop!" 

Kurapika's arms fell to his side. "Leorio," he said. "Please just thinking about it. It's for me. For my whole bloodline! Why don't you want kids?" 

"I told you already," he said. "I don't want to be like my dad." 

"Leorio, people don't actually start acting like their parents."

"You always say you are just like your mom," Leorio said. "You look like her. Act like her. What about me? What's going to happen if I start acting like my dad? Raise kids the same way  my dad did?" 

Kurapika gulped. Leorio had used this argument before but he never paid attention. Leorio was legitimately concerned about this.

Kurapika placed his hand on Leorio's back. "That won't happen," he said. "You are the sweetest man I've ever met. You'd be a great father. So, why don't we just go?" 

Leorio shook his head. "No, Kurapika," he said. He wanted to say more. So much more. But the words sat on the tip of his tongue. They wouldn't come out. They were scared. And so was he.